What's new

Second router for duplex apartment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

discussion_war

New Around Here
Hi, I have an Asus GT-AX11000 running Merlin firmware that I love, but the signal strength is too weak on the opposite side of the downstairs of my duplex apartment.

I've looked carefully into changing the router's position in the apartment and/or running ethernet cable between floors, but for multiple reasons (including that it's a rental), those aren't possible and I need to get a second router for the downstairs area.

My inclination would be to get a second Asus router that supports AIMesh, but from some initial research I've seen a lot of people advising against that approach. Is that a bad idea? Could anyone recommend whether or not to use AIMesh and, if so, what second router to get for it?

Alternatively, I've also read that I could consider just using a second router as an access point. If I were to do that, should I stick to another Asus router?

Welcome to the forums @discussion_war.

What is 'too weak' for you? Does the connection actually drop?

Have you tried setting the antennae in a 'W' pattern, with one or more antennae pointed more horizontally than the others? Also, be sure to test/dial in the router orientation too.

What are your ISP speeds? I'll be assuming 1Gbps symmetrical (up/down).

Whether you run in wireless AiMesh or Repeater mode (strict 'AP' mode isn't an option without being wired) will be equivalent, except for the fact that the Guest Network 1 won't be propagated to the Repeater node (only AiMesh will offer this).

If that far side consists of mainly wired capable devices, I would suggest using Media Bridge mode instead at that location.

While many Asus (and other) routers may give you satisfactory performance in Repeater mode (with all its shortcomings), I would suggest the RT-AX68U or better to match to your current main router.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

AiMesh Ideal Placement

Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh

Media Bridge Mode

If you have coax cable running from your router to downstairs, a pair of MoCA devices would do the trick. Powerline is too susceptible to interference, but it's not the case with MoCA. If you'd like to have wireless downstairs as well, then you can attach an Asus router running as Aimesh node and set up Ethernet Backhaul Mode.

https://www.gocoax.com/

I need to get a second router for the downstairs area.
No, you need an access point. A good AP will cover more ground than any "router" you pick up.

Not to mention they're cheaper than a router. A decent WIFI6 AP would run ~$150 whereas a router is easily double that. Get a MOCA 2.5 pack and a NWA210AX and you'll be fully covered.

A good AP will cover more ground than any "router" you pick up.

This is not true. Most "good" APs are made to work in groups and have slightly directional radiation pattern. Home routers use omni-directional antennas and in most cases work better as a single AP. They may not have the throughput or the high number of clients support, but will have better "coverage".

I've looked carefully into changing the router's position in the apartment and/or running ethernet cable between floors, but for multiple reasons (including that it's a rental), those aren't possible and I need to get a second router for the downstairs area.

Your only wireless option with Asus is AiMesh, good or bad.

Please, don't harm any animals adjusting their antennae: