What's new

Secondary network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Depechefan

New Around Here
Hi,

I have my network configured. It is based on Ubiquiti Unified. I'm trying to implement a second wireless network based on an ASUS RT-AC88U router. The reason I'd like to set up the secondary WiFi network is to have it permanently connected to a VPN service (Torguard).

I have connected my ASUS router to my Ubiquiti network using on one of the switch ports. I have given it the static IP 192.168.1.10. I can access the admin interface and clients can connect. However I can't connect the router's VPN client to my Torguard service. I'm guessing that it's because I don't have direct WAN access on my router. If I connect my Ubiquity switch to the WAN port on the ASUS router I can no longer connect to it... It feels like it should be possible to make this work somehow but I can't figure it out.

Help is appreciated.
/M

If you are attempting to use the router (and services hosted on the router) via the LAN ports only, you'll usually run into default gateway issues for local services.

You'll probably have to make sure that the WAN settings contain the LAN default gateway even though you have nothing connected to the WAN port. You may also need some additional routes depending on the logical topology.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

If you can ping an internet address from the router cli then what I said above probably doesn't apply.

Thanks for the reply!

I started over, reset the router and put the cable from the Ubiquiti switch in the WAN port as I was configuring the switch. It then decided on its own to put it on a different subnet: 192.168.2.1. That apparently did the trick. Now working as I was hoping for :)

/M

Thanks for the reply!

I started over, reset the router and put the cable from the Ubiquiti switch in the WAN port as I was configuring the switch. It then decided on its own to put it on a different subnet: 192.168.2.1. That apparently did the trick. Now working as I was hoping for :)

/M
No problem :D

So long as double NAT isn't a problem and there's no requirement to route to your existing LAN subnet then that's definitely the easiest way to do it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!