What's new

Security for dedicated IP cam system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not odd at all. Windows Firewall for most situations will block incoming non-local traffic. Your VPN's IP address is not local therefore an exception needs to be made.
Odd for me, anyway, being a novice and gaining an education.

Last edited:
I did get the BI app working. In 'Server Settings', I saw that I forgot to put the port number in the LAN.

All is well.

Thanks, Colin and Threska49. I appreciate your patience and willingness to stick it out. I learned a lot through this process.

As a followup, are there any further I should look at to fully secure the router, vpn and otherwise? I'd like to beef up security in whatever way I can, including on my other routers/network.

Long ago, (the SMB site software was a lot different then) there was a fairly prolific guy here who recommended using a router in front of a router, creating a subnet on the "inside" router. I think he called it a 'shield router' or something similar (I keep wanting to call it a 'gateway' router, but that's not the right term). The premise was that any intruder would have to get past the firewalls of two routers.

Is this ^ viable?

This 'guy' also had a site where he posted guides, including the for "shield" router.

Tech9 posted something similar in one of my earlier threads (regarding these IP cams and multiple IPs).

Here are the relevant links:

The last paragraph here:

A further note, on the IP cam router, I have the wireless radios turned off, since I won't be needing it (and have several other wireless NWs on my other network).

BTW, I only have 2 static IPs now. One for my main NW and one for the IP cam NW.

As a followup, are there any further I should look at to fully secure the router, vpn and otherwise? I'd like to beef up security in whatever way I can, including on my other routers/network.
If the only port you're allowing from the internet is your VPN port that should be sufficient. Even if you were to go with a "two/three router solution" you'd still end up having to forward that port from the primary router to the secondary. Most security issues come from inside your network (e.g. malware on PCs), not outside.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!