What's new

Seek an indepth review of the new Asus RT-AC58U AC1300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

will5

New Around Here
Its a while since Asus released a new AC-Router not chasing the costly and power-hungry fast market. There must be a market for a newcomer to improve the AC1200 segment

I seek a long-range but low-power WiFi Router to replace my current Wifi Router-N router. I am energy-conservation conscious, so rather than energy-guzzling Tower PCs for which many traditional Routers seem designed to emulate, I use only low-power miniPC or laptops. I seek a good long-range Wireless Router with high energy efficiency, friendly ASUSWRT UI, easy torrent download to router-attached storage via VPN where laptop/PC can be switched off.

I considered the RT-AC56U as it consumes 5.0W idle which is fine, but NO External Antenna, poor 2.4GHz range, and maybe suffers from slow 7-12MB/s USB of RT-AC55U sister taking just 4.0W idle, 5.0W in network load.

SNB reviews indicate RT-AC68U best RANGE maintaing 2.4GHz connection at 63dB loss. But as Tim remarked, AC1900 is overkill for many people, bulky, overpriced for my modest speed requirement, and according to uk.hardware.info, takes at the wall, 8.0W idle, 12.5W when transmitting to 3 laptops - more than my Haswell NUC main PC..

With nothing close to RT-AC68U in sight, reluctantly thinking to buy it until hearing of AC58U, more compact yet more antenna than AC68U, appears more in AC56 AC1200 class & price, but with stated 'long-range' specs, overcoming the -ve of earlier products. Only obvious -ve just 1 USB socket, maybe a problem when no ADSL, need to connect both USB 3G, and USB HDD for PCless unattended torrent downloads via VPN or can the AC58U use a USB Hub to simultaneously use 3G dongle and ext HDD ?

Hoping the RT-AC58U using newer tech, 4 antenna, yet physically smaller than the 4 year old AC68U, will at least equal the AC68U range, and consume energy more like the 5W idle of the 56U.

So far only review did no range, energy consumption measurements, or test capabilities of PCless unattended VPN downloads.

Can SNB publish an early review of the RT-AC58U, covering 2.4GHz Range, idle/typical consumption, ability to do PCless unattended torrent downloads via ASUS VPN client/server ?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!