What's new

Solved Seeking Wi-Fi range extender with cable signal input

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rhimbo

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am wondering if there are any products that do range extending but that get their signal to extend from wired input via a Cat6 (or Cat5 or Cat5e or whatever) signal.

I am wondering if there are products similar to the range extenders that you plug into an electrical socket (not PowerLine) that amplify (and extend by their physical placement) a Wi-Fi signal, but that take input from a Cat6 cable originating from the main router.

I know I can just get a second W-Fi router and configure it in AP mode; I do not want to do that; I want a simpler solution. I have Cat6 wired to every room in the house and garage. I am trying to find devices that can give a good signal for a specific room, something small and inconspicuous like the typical range extenders.

I've been doing lots of internet searches but everything that comes up is the regular range extenders that amplify and extend a Wi-Fi signal.

Thanks,

What you're describing is an access point. Most range extenders I've seen also have an Ethernet socket that allow them to be configured as an access point rather than a repeater.

Here's one picked at random: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/range-extender/re450/
Thanks for the reply.

The page at the link you provided says:
"Gigabit Ethernet port - Act as a wireless adapter to connect a wired device to your network at Gigabit speed"

I see this type of description on many products. But that is what led to my original question.

I interpret it to mean that the ethernet port is an output port by which another device can get network access (via ethernet cable versus Wi-Fi).

Am I wrong? If I am wrong, then this product would work fine.

Thanks for the reply.

The page at the link you provided says:
"Gigabit Ethernet port - Act as a wireless adapter to connect a wired device to your network at Gigabit speed"

I see this type of description on many products. But that is what led to my original question.

I interpret it to mean that the ethernet port is an output port by which another device can get network access (via ethernet cable versus Wi-Fi).

Am I wrong? If I am wrong, then this product would work fine.
But it also says:
  • AP Mode - Create a new Wi-Fi access point to enhance your wired network with Wi-Fi capability
Worth double checking with the manufacturer before purchase though.

But it also says:

Worth double checking with the manufacturer before purchase though.
Yes, thanks. I read that as well... but it seems confusing at least to me as there is only 1 ethernet jack from all the photos I can see searching the internet.

I agree that I should check further with the manufacturer. So far I have not received any replies on the manufacturer forums (TP-Link and Netgear). I'll keep trying. Thanks for the assistance....

I'll just mark this thread resolved....

Yes, thanks. I read that as well... but it seems confusing at least to me as there is only 1 ethernet jack from all the photos I can see searching the internet.
You only need one Ethernet connection to create an access point.

The TP-Link RE450 emulator shows a "Mode" switch that changes between Access Point and Range Extender.

You only need one Ethernet connection to create an access point.

The TP-Link RE450 emulator shows a "Mode" switch that changes between Access Point and Range Extender.
I meant that it is unclear what that 1 ethernet port is for:
1. To connect a device that wants an ethernet network connection
2. To connect to the main router whose Wi-Fi signal it will extend.

I doubt that one port could serve both functions... possible, but doubtful.

@rhimbo

In general anything but a "router" or "access point" is just marketing for your money. AP's work better than consumer routers and typically are cheaper when it comes to the latest tech such as AX.

RE/nodes/mesh/etc. is a waste of time and money since they results are pitiful.

Before getting into specifics though..... what speeds are you needing?

If you have a ton of internal LAN traffic then investing in some AX AP's would be worthwhile ~$100-$150 but, if you're just extending your WIFI for WAN data then something a bit more economical for ~$50 would work as well. The most you can get out of WIFI at this point is ~1.2-1.5gbps when properly tuned and setup network.

My assumption is that the use of the port will change depending on what mode you're in. In AP mode it's the connection to your LAN. In Range Extender Mode you either don't use it, or you can plug it into a PC and use it a bit like a wireless network adapter.

A wireless extender bridges traffic in both directions. Ethernet is bi-directional; there is no "input" or "output".