What's new

Seeking Wired Router with multiple 2.5Gb Ethernet Ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tony Mathews

Occasional Visitor
Good Afternoon, I am looking for the following. I am running and Netgear CM2000 Cable modem with a 2.5Gb connection directly to my PC. I am wanting to add an router in between without loosing my 2.5Gb in between. I am having a hard time locating a wired router with that option. Do any of you know of any on the market and if so; what are they?

I presume your cable modem doesn't have a DHCP server built in?
If that's the case, a switch isn't going to help, you need a router with two 2.5Gbps ports, which simply isn't a thing, yet.
There should be some coming later this year though.

Alternatively you need something like this

Last edited:
I presume your cable modem doesn't have a DHCP server built in?
If that's the case, a switch isn't going to help, you need a router with two 2.5Gbps ports, which simply isn't a thing, yet.
There should be some coming later this year though.
Modem should have a DHCP server, but limited at best, and is with Comcast service.

Asus' GT-AX6000 as well as their new Zenwifi ET12/XT12 products have two 2.5Gbps ports. No idea on availability however, they were only recently announced.

It's apparently a very limited router that isn't quite a finished product in many ways.
I agree 100%. It’s missing a lot of features compared to Asus AX routers.
I’m not a fan of QNAP after using their NAS for years and having to deal with crap firmware updates. However, the 301w is perfect for my use case since I needed a 10G connection to a 10G switch. Plus the icing on the cake is 60% better performance on the 5Ghz band compared to the Asus AXE11000 (Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.45850).

Last edited:
I agree 100%. It’s missing a lot of features compared to Asus AX routers.
I’m not a fan of QNAP after using their NAS for years and having to deal with crap firmware updates. However, the 301w is perfect for my use case since I needed a 10G connection to a 10G switch. Plus the icing on the cake is 60% better performance on the 5Ghz band compared to the Asus AXE11000 (Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.45850).
It seems to be missing a lot of features compared to a lot of routers.
Very nice hardware though, it's just a shame QNAP had to try and make an SD-WAN router instead of just a normal router.
My understanding was that the WiFi wasn't so great either, but maybe they've improved that via a software/firmware update.
Also, the name in Swedish isn't a great one...

I actually used to work for QNAP many moons ago and it seems like nothing much has changed, which is really a shame.
They make some nice hardware, but keep messing things up on the software side.

I've been looking around at this too. Asus ET12/XT12 are the closest without building your own. I've been reading that if you have a decent pc, with at least a dual-core cpu, you can add a couple PCIe cards and use pfSense to create your own router to keep the speeds. Or even set it up in a VM. Then use switches to connect multiple devices and APs for wifi connection to the new network. Not too cheap for upgrading wired performance, but still cheaper than a 10GbE system, for me at least.

I've been thinking of tinkering with getting something like this set up since I have the CM2050V modem. Same modem, but with voice connection for 'home phone'. I have an AX11000 as my main with a couple other routers in an AiMesh setup. I would eventually replace the other routers with the XT8 using the 2.5GbE connection for the mesh ethernet backhaul...eventually.

Why do you need a 2.5Gb router? Do you have internet connection faster than 1Gb?
Yes, my current connection is supposed to be 1.3Gb down and 35Mb up. I might be switching to a fiber connection soon that offers 1.5Gb up and 1.5Gb down, so I would want something that can support the full speeds.

The ET12 has been priced by Asus and it's not cheap at US$850 for a pair.
Wow, ya, definitely cheaper to use pfSense on my current spare pc (plex) as a VM for what I am wanting. Thanks for that link!

use pfSense on my current spare pc

I did a homebrew after getting sick of all the buggy FW every consumer grade router releases. I combined several functions into the PC to provide -routing / switching / firewall / WIFI / DVR / Plex / etc. getting rid of different devices those were being performed on in the process.

I didn't bother with PF though and went run of the mill Ubuntu and it's just a matter of installing some packages and configuring routing / iptables (fw). The flexibility though on the network side of selecting 1/2.5/5/10 GE NIC makes it easy to size to your needs. I'm running a Raid 10 setup for "NAS" functionality on the box that gets me 400MB/s which puts my network needs at 5GE. I picked up a QNAP 4 port 5GE card for $200 and split the ports for WAN/LAN as needed.

I was running a QNAP AC2600 card internally as the AP functionality until upgrading to AX and just plugging an AP into one of the ports using a NWA210AX and get 1.5gbps over wifi with it internally since it has a 2.5GE port on it.

The options are limitless when you take a "PC" and turn it into something else more functional.