What's new

Selecting my Router for NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a QNAP TS-419P+ 4 bay with Seagate 7200 RPM Baracuda 2TB drives in a RAID 10 setup.
Gives me 3.89TB (2 drives) mirrored to 3.89TB (2 drives)
This has dual RJ45 1GB connections for either load balancing or fail over (which I have it that way)
eSata port on back for backup to external drives (which I use a Thermaltake BlacX for that when I want to)
USB ports on back and one in front the can be setup to auto copy USB flash stuck in, no user input needed
I also use it for TimeMachine backups from my iMac
but I keep it turned off most of the time and also my Dlink DNS-323 with mirrored 1TB drives (will get around to putting funplug on it maybe even thou the item is discontinued from Dlink it still has a big user support base and forums)
You can not get that with a DIY home NAS, which your really not building a NAS, your making a bare bone pc, and the power usage will be a lot.
When my QNAP is off (and wake on LAN disabled) the draw is about .2 of a WATT because the network connections are still active, on the Dlink it is zero, off means off.
My QNAP uses CLAMX antivirus program, that is FREE, on the last 2 firmware upgrades, so it can do full scans with the latest signatures. It can be a linux server, DHCP, DNS, AFP, active directory, radius, many many things and all that is included in the QNAP.
You can't do that with a DIY "NAS" because you will spend a lot of time trying to get different software to work.
I suggest AGAINST RAID5, go RAID 10 and use a NAS box already built. I used Baracuda Enterprise drives so I would never worry about a failure (it's more of a file storage device and not a full blown NAS with 20 users 10 hours a day, BUT the QNAP could be in a small business).
Use WD RED NAS hard drives and they just came out with 5TB and 6TB drives. So a 2 bay mirrored 6TB setup could be well suited for most home/SOHO users. And the QNAP has "cloud" access from mobile/net so you could setup your own "cloud", just limited by your UPLOAD speeds.
Just my input after reading this post. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!