What's new

Selective Routing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aspen63

Regular Contributor
Newbie's question. Is it possible to make Asus 5300 selectively route torrents traffic through WAN and all other traffic through established VPN channel?

Not really. I don't want to have transmission on my router, I use NAS for torrenting instead.

Ahhh..again OP not providing the actual requirements :oops:

The usual proposed solution (certainly for PC based BT) is to run the BT client in a VM in which case it is a simple matter of Selectively routing the device.....although clearly running a NAS in a VM isn't applicable.

So I assume you want the NAS to always use the VPN except for BT?

Port forwarding may be a solution.

This thread ....

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/selective-routing-with-asuswrt-merlin.9311/page-25#post-290571

proved that Selective routing of ports works but you will need to know all of the ports used by BT....however, the OP seemed to abandon his quest and accepted a more manual solution.

NOTE: The thread attempts to use Selective port routing via VPN Client 1 so you will need to use say (fwmark 0x7000 and RPDB table 254 for the WAN.

I'm a real newbie. So please don't feel offended if I ask rather unspecific questions :)
First, I use NAS for different purposes so I don't want it to be isolated from other network devices I have. I can understand the nature of port forwarding but only when talking about incoming packets. And remember, OP in the thread you provided wanted something opposite to what I want, namely, I want all traffic EXCEPT BT to go through VPN. I don't see any way to insert .NOT. rule into port forwarding page. And I don't understand how PF can help in a situation when I want OUTGOING packets from certain NAS and specific ports to go straight to WAN while all other packets from all other devices to go through the tunnel. I guess I should read about network basics first :)

I want all traffic EXCEPT BT to go through VPN. I don't see any way to insert .NOT. rule into port forwarding page. And I don't understand how PF can help in a situation when I want OUTGOING packets from certain NAS and specific ports to go straight to WAN while all other packets from all other devices to go through the tunnel. I guess I should read about network basics first :)

Usually the Selective routing of devices or the whole of your LAN outbound is configured on the VPN Client GUI e.g. when 'Redirect Internet traffic=Policy Rules'

Selective routing of outbound port 'packets' is achieved only by use of a custom script and indeed seemingly does not (on the surface ) have anything to do with the Port Forwarding GUI page as this page only creates inbound Selective port routing but iptable rules are used in both situations.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!