What's new

Selling a Smart Home?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

colecaz

Regular Contributor
I enjoy automating my home but am beginning to have concerns that what I am doing is going to impact sellability when non-techie buyers evaluate the house.

I have network switches in various rooms for multiple IP devices, several wifi access points, a commercial alarm system interfaced to an ISY-994i which also controls about twenty Insteon devices. The alarm system reports via Google Voice as we have gone all cell phone. There are security cameras both inside and outside that feed a 24/7 computer running BlueIris security software. And so on, and so on. A fun pastime project but elaborate.

All of this would take considerable time and effort for even a knowledgeable person to understand and be able to support. I sure wouldn't want to have to pay someone for support.

Has anybody had any experience automating and then selling their home? And what were the buyers reactions to all the technology? Did you strip the automation out before marketing? How much to leave behind?

I'm beginning to think almost all of it would have to go before listing or potential buyers would be scared off.