What's new

Sending DSL-AC68U router logs to Synology NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dj045

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I am trying to send the router logs from my ASUS DSL-AC68U to the Log Station on my Synology NAS.

I have set my ASUS router to send logs to 192.168.1.253 (The local address of my Synology NAS). And I have enabled log receiving in the log center on the Synology NAS. I have checked the location where the logs are saved on the NAS but I only see system logs from the Synology, not from the ASUS.

I contacted Synology support and they say the log center supports three log parser formats: BSD (RFC 3164), IETF (RFC 5424), and Custom

Anyone know what parser ASUS routers use? Tried googling but I'm not finding anything relevant....

Also what protocol does the router send logs via TCP or UDP or does this matter at all?

Also, wanted to check that the router is actually sending logs at all and wondered if there's another way I can test this without involving my Synology NAS just so I can identify if its the router not sending or the NAS not receiving.

Thanks

Last edited:
which firmware are you using?
did you try with merlin-fork from GNUton for DSL-AC68U?

I cant help you, but quite sure these questions will come up ...

which firmware are you using?
did you try with merlin-fork from GNUton for DSL-AC68U?

I cant help you, but quite sure these questions will come up ...

Using the most recent one from ASUS (Version 3.0.0.4.384_56087)

BSD format and standard UDP/514.
No ssl, Asus doesn't do that.
I'm using exactly this setup for years now, 5-6. Always standard Asus firmware, never had any problems.
Even the node(s) on AiMesh are sending the logs and Synology's Logs Center parse it properly.

BSD format and standard UDP/514.
No ssl, Asus doesn't do that.
I'm using exactly this setup for years now, 5-6. Always standard Asus firmware, never had any problems.
Even the node(s) on AiMesh are sending the logs and Synology's Logs Center parse it properly.

Ok thanks, mine was set with BSD, port 514 and TCP, so I've now changed this to UDP and I'm getting logs.

Thanks very much

Hi, I am trying to send the router logs from my ASUS DSL-AC68U to the Log Station on my Synology NAS.

I have set my ASUS router to send logs to 192.168.1.253 (The local address of my Synology NAS). And I have enabled log receiving in the log center on the Synology NAS. I have checked the location where the logs are saved on the NAS but I only see system logs from the Synology, not from the ASUS.

I contacted Synology support and they say the log center supports three log parser formats: BSD (RFC 3164), IETF (RFC 5424), and Custom

Anyone know what parser ASUS routers use? Tried googling but I'm not finding anything relevant....

Also what protocol does the router send logs via TCP or UDP or does this matter at all?

Also, wanted to check that the router is actually sending logs at all and wondered if there's another way I can test this without involving my Synology NAS just so I can identify if its the router not sending or the NAS not receiving.

Thanks

I am successfully sending logs from my RT-AC68U to my Synology. I have log format set to IETF, protocol UDP and port 514. One thing to watch out for is that ASUS class a lot of events as Emergency when they are patently not so you may need to tune your notification rules.

I am successfully sending logs from my RT-AC68U to my Synology. I have log format set to IETF, protocol UDP and port 514. One thing to watch out for is that ASUS class a lot of events as Emergency when they are patently not so you may need to tune your notification rules.

Thanks, what notification settings are you using?

And what false emergency alerts were you seeing?

Thanks, what notification settings are you using?

And what false emergency alerts were you seeing?

I unticked the Severity rule and set "Logs per second" to 20. As for Emergency, all the client roaming messages seem to have this level e.g. roaming reject!!! candidate rssi over threshold(-55dbm)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!