What's new

Separate SSID on Powerline Repeater

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DrMopp

Occasional Visitor
I have a TP-Link TP-PA8630 PLA/Wi-Fi AP. I have given the 2.4GHz channel on that adapter a different SSID than the Router. If I connect to that SSID using a mobile, I am able to ping, and see (using the WiFi Man app), the wireless devices which are not connected to that SSID but to the main router SSID. A media streamer connected to the main SSID can be controlled by an app on the phone connected to the AP SSID. Is this expected behaviour i.e. apparently communicating across SSID's? It's certainly useful, as I was having no luck at all getting my Android phone to switch to the strongest signal when both access point and router had the same SSID.

I have a TP-Link TP-PA8630 PLA/Wi-Fi AP. I have given the 2.4GHz channel on that adapter a different SSID than the Router. If I connect to that SSID using a mobile, I am able to ping, and see (using the WiFi Man app), the wireless devices which are not connected to that SSID but to the main router SSID. A media streamer connected to the main SSID can be controlled by an app on the phone connected to the AP SSID. Is this expected behaviour i.e. apparently communicating across SSID's? It's certainly useful, as I was having no luck at all getting my Android phone to switch to the strongest signal when both access point and router had the same SSID.

Think I've answered my own question - the router network map shows the device connected to the access point as a wired connection ie via the PLA so the device is actually on the same network even with the different SSID - welcome any confirmation of my thinking

Think I've answered my own question - the router network map shows the device connected to the access point as a wired connection ie via the PLA so the device is actually on the same network even with the different SSID - welcome any confirmation of my thinking

Correct - you are connected to the same network/subnet with no restrictions to other clients, regardless of the SSID being different on the PLA