What's new

Serial Flash - No Console Output

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

netmind

New Around Here
I'm trying to unbrick my RT-AC56U via serial flash.

I been able to connect the usb to serial cable and can get a terminal window up through Putty but it stays empty no matter what I do.

So as a test, I connected the cable to another Asus router that is working just to see if the boot output show up. No boot output either, although the router boots up just fine.

I can see the leds on the usb serial cable light up (although I have no idea what they mean).

- Serial cable - CP2102 USB to TTL cable , latest SiLabs drivers from here

- Putty - 115200 / data: 8 bit / stop: 1 bit / parity: none / flow: none

- COM port confirmed in windows device mgr

The boot output should just show up once I power on the router right (no ctrl + c needed)?

Am I doin something wrong? Are those the right putty configurations for the CP2102 chip?

Try swapping TX and RX.

Yup I tried swapping the tx and rx but no change.

Also tried connecting the vcc up as the dd-wrt instructions noted some boards may need it - no change either though.

Tried to log all session output but no log file created (although I confirmed a log will be created for simple SSH session). Also run putty as administrator, but no change.

I remember the RT-AC56U bootloader could be a fair bit quirky at times. Try plugging the serial pins only 3-4 secs after you powered the router on - I remember I had to do that for certain routers, but I can't remember which models.

Not sure if the window is short for post power plug in but my fat fingers are quite slow at plugging in the jumpers :(.

Anyhow, I did a loopback test (plugged same wire back into the adapter, tx-rx) and couldn't see what I was typing in the console. So I guess I got a DOA adapter or I shorted it out.

I'll have to source a different usb serial adapter and come back to this.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Not sure if the window is short for post power plug in but my fat fingers are quite slow at plugging in the jumpers :(.

Anyhow, I did a loopback test (plugged same wire back into the adapter, tx-rx) and couldn't see what I was typing in the console. So I guess I got a DOA adapter or I shorted it out.

I'll have to source a different usb serial adapter and come back to this.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.
Only one cable... Just get a simple switch in between.

Well I dug out my old CA-42 diy serial cable from 10 years ago and was able to get it to work with the the working RT-N66U. Boot output shows up fine in the console and I was able to ctrl+C break into the CFE prompt.

However, still can't get anything in the console with the RT-AC56U. I also tried to plug in cable 3-4 seconds after powering on the unit. Unfortunately no boot output showed up and ctrl+C had no effect.

Guess I really bricked it good. I guess time to put this unit in the bin.

Thanks though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!