What's new

Serious MOCA issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MOCA user

New Around Here
Recently added WCB6200Q (verizon) to my quantum gateway router network. Problems that occured/noticed happen are listed below. It started (or I noticed) after a 1hr power outage cleared. Reloading defaults (WCB6200Q) does repair most things, but I still have an IPAD which only has guest ssid, and its on the primary network (checked its ip, used Network Analyzer app and router gui)

1) Guest devices where placed on my primary network with a primary network address
2) Hidden SSIDs where not hidden
3) Diffuculty connection to WCB6200Q on 5 Ghz band
4) Disconnection problems using airplay when Iphone was on 5 ghz band.

This all seems to be traced to the WCB6200Q, I think its has to do with the MOCA network and how WIFI tags/labels/ect and sent and assigned in the router, just a guess.

Several phone calls to verizon, initially they where going to send me a replacement, then they call today said they are sending someone out to the house.

To stimulate the problem, reboot router, leaving WCB6200Q on.

regards,
Moca user

Update:
Resunk the extender to the router and was not able to reproduce both the situation where guest network devices are found in primary network and situation where connecting to 5gig band is a problem. This is good.

But did reproduce the following problems.

1) Hidden 2.4 Ghz band of extender is not hidden if extender is rebooted, fortunately routers 2.4 gig band stays hidden when units are rebooted.
2) when Iphone is connected to extenders 5 gig band, cannot access yamaha receiver via airplay. This receiver is cat6 connected to extender lan port. Airplay connection is good when iphone is connected to router 5 gig band.

regards,
moca user

MoCA devices aren't my specialty at all...I mostly deal with standard LAN, WiFi, and PowerLine stuff.

1.) Why are you "hiding" your SSID? It doesn't accomplish anything but cause some oddities in certain clients. It isn't really "hidden" since you can still see it with the proper tools.

2.) If you are trying to do your guest WiFi off of the extender, over the MoCA, back to the router....I would assume that won't work as expected. It really depends on how the device is handling Guest WiFi for isolation. Is it doing it at Layer2 or Layer3? Either way, I would find it unlikely to work as expected over an extender unless Verizon has done some other fanciness between the devices. I am assuming that the WCB6200Q is acting as a basic bridge from the WiFi to MoCA. This generally means that Guest WiFi won't work since it is something the router is handling at Layer3.

3.) Airplay issue. This is a complete guess...I had a Belkin AP that had issues with forwarding multicast/broadcast across the WiFI to wired ports. This kept AirPlay, Sonos, and a few other things from behaving correctly. In my case, there was no fix other than to replace that AP.

Thanks for the input,

1)Don't want to get into discussion on hiding/ not hiding merits. Rather if a device(s) have this option to hide and it doesn't work then there is a problem. I've used Linksys, Asus and Netgear routers/AP and never had this problem before. Basically this is a fixable problem.

2) Guest wifi is setup on the router, the WCB6200Q has no setting for this, this is all handled by quantum gaterway router G1100.

3) Bonjour service can be found on Yamaha receiver device when operating IPhone at 2.5 gig band that is connected to WCB6200Q and running Network analyzer on this IPhone. When IPhone is on 5 Gig band, everything else the same, Bonjour services are not availible on Yamaha. Basically airplay works at 2.5ghz and not 5 ghz via WCB6200Q, but airplay works for both 2.5 and 5 when connected to 2.5 or 5 Ghz bands on quantum gateway router. So there is a problem. I'm sure its fixable.

I am assuming there is way more "magic" going on in the background between the router and the extender....which is outside my realm of knowledge. I believe you are correct in that is should be resolvable since it is more than likely a software bug....but it is a matter of getting either vendor to admit to it, fix it, and then release it. :(

Last update I hope (spending too much time on it)

Only recurring and reproducible problem is with the hidden SSID. So I don't consider this serious, but it is a bug.

If the WIFI network extender WCB6200Q is rebooted (repowered), then when power is back and button on top is lit with green ring, then the SSID will be broadcasted and seen by all devices. To hide the SSID one must (in extender GHI) turn off radio and then turn it back on. Then SSID will be hidden again. This is very repeatable (I only retested this many times on the 2.4 ghz band) and is only a problem with the extender, router always hides SSID when it is set in gui to be hidden.

I think is a software problem with communciation from router to extender on reboot, which could be fixed by toggling radio from on to off to back on at end of reboot process.

Update:
Verizon came and installed new (actually used) WCB6200Q, this unit works fine but with some of same/newly observed issues but nothing serious.

)1) Cannot connect to my Yamaha receiver (connected to lan port on back of WCB6200Q via Airplay with my IPhone when my IPhone is connect via 5Ghz band thru WCB6200Q
2) When connected via 2.5 Ghz band, airplay connection can drop, to be honest I had similiar, but less frequent dropping when using a Linksys router (non fios home)
3) HP Printer (connected via 2.5 Ghz wifi) is not accessible from my IPhone when my IPhone is connect to 5 ghz band via WCB6200Q.

I glad to say that wifi guests are never found in primary network.

BTW verizon gave me $50 credit for replacing my new WCB6200Q with and old one. I'm happy with them so far.

Update:
Verizon came and installed new (actually used) WCB6200Q, this unit works fine but with some of same/newly observed issues but nothing serious.

)1) Cannot connect to my Yamaha receiver (connected to lan port on back of WCB6200Q via Airplay with my IPhone when my IPhone is connect via 5Ghz band thru WCB6200Q
2) When connected via 2.5 Ghz band, airplay connection can drop, to be honest I had similiar, but less frequent dropping when using a Linksys router (non fios home)
3) HP Printer (connected via 2.5 Ghz wifi) is not accessible from my IPhone when my IPhone is connect to 5 ghz band via WCB6200Q.

I glad to say that wifi guests are never found in primary network.

BTW verizon gave me $50 credit for replacing my new WCB6200Q with and old one. I'm happy with them so far.
1),3) Bonjour, used for discovery, requires all devices to be on same subnet. You may be able to use WDS direct on the printer from the iphone. Check printer server engine settings.
2) you might be able to prioritize the packet type used - look at QOS settings and similar.

1),3) Bonjour, used for discovery, requires all devices to be on same subnet. You may be able to use WDS direct on the printer from the iphone. Check printer server engine settings.
2) you might be able to prioritize the packet type used - look at QOS settings and similar.

Thanks, everything is on the same subnet, its just iphone using 5Ghz off the WCB6200Q isn't rock solid with certain non apple hardware.

One of the challenges with Bonjour (mDNS) is that the host GW might also use .local as the TLD for the LAN, which can cause some issues there...

(.local is a reserved TLD, for LAN purposes, .lan is perhaps a better choice - this very item is what breaks certain off the shelf router/AP's like Linksys for example)

One of the challenges with Bonjour (mDNS) is that the host GW might also use .local as the TLD for the LAN, which can cause some issues there...

(.local is a reserved TLD, for LAN purposes, .lan is perhaps a better choice - this very item is what breaks certain off the shelf router/AP's like Linksys for example)
Thanks for the explanation, but blame extends also to the MOCA devices I'm presently using from Verizon (Actiontec), not just prior used Linksys.

Also I've noticed sometimes sometimes HP printer can't communicate with my droid tablet when the droid is on the 5 ghz band, so this isn't just Bonjour issue. This is triggered when I made a setting change on MOCA router via browser.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!