What's new

Services keep restarting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnathonm

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a reason why and how to permanently stop some services from restarting. I am trying to kill:

#!/bin/sh
service stop_lpd
service stop_lldpd
service stop_lld2d
service stop_u2ec
service stop_mcpd
service stop_lld2c
service stop_lldpd
service stop_nas

and I also want to kill /bin/mcpd as these services are not services I want active or need on the router. I have this script which runs and kills most of the services (I can't figure out how to put down /bin/mcpd). I will check via PS and at boot my script has killed them. Then several hours later I will log in, run a ps and find some of the services active again.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Those services cannot be disabled.

There's a watchdog which monitors and restarts critical services....and some of the services you listed are absolutely critical and may not be what you think.....

nas (Network Access Service) - kill this and you kill wireless
mcpd (Memcache Proxy Daemon) - integral to http support on the AC86

others like lldpd (Link Layer Discovery Protocol Daemon) are required by some closed source components

Thank you kind sir.....keep me honest :)
And another example of why it's dangerous to disable services!

I did, and I disabled the services then. I just couldn't figure out why they kept restarting. Thus, a semi-duplicate question but not really. I am going with the expert advice and have clean installed. I just didn't know what was happening. There isn't exactly a lot of documentation on these processes and what they do out there relating to a router specifically. Yes, there is some Linux distro info, but even that can be conflicting. It's a shame there isn't a full blown manual for the firmware.

Hell,

I would throw down $500 USD towards the writing of a detailed manual specific to the firmware. That offer does stand.

It's a shame there isn't a full blown manual for the firmware.
That's because it's a consumer product, like a TV or Blu-ray player. You wouldn't expect to have a full manual on the internal workings of one of those. It also contains closed-source software. Without Merlin's unofficial modifications you wouldn't even be able to create custom scripts or configs.

If you want something that behaves like a Linux distro spend your $500 dollars on something that uses open source software and runs on generic hardware.

That's because it's a consumer product, like a TV or Blu-ray player. You wouldn't expect to have a full manual on the internal workings of one of those. It also contains closed-source software. Without Merlin's unofficial modifications you wouldn't even be able to create custom scripts or configs.

If you want something that behaves like a Linux distro spend your $500 dollars on something that uses open source software and runs on generic hardware.

Colin,

You are really an arrogant person. I was making a facetious remark because I do understand aspects of this are closed source. You truly are a genius at this, no doubt, but your treatment towards me has been nothing short of disrespectful in all of our interactions. I know that there is a preponderance in these types of community to breed arrogance and elitism, hence the lovely reputation the unix community has with the rest of the civilized world. I am sorry that I, a lowly plebeian, am trying to learn about the technology and software that I am using. I know that may anger you that someone so lowly as myself would want to learn and thus encroach on the god like stature of members of the technology community. You truly represent every stereotype that out there of the linux community. I am patient, I am tolerant but I'm tired of being disrespected by you because I simply want to learn. I have done nothing but treat you and others with respect. I am passionate about trying to learn as much as I can about my device.

Also, there could very easily be a manual put together on the operating system itself as its running off a variant of linux, likely openwrt. I am sure you will correct me but the simple fact that the code is released under GPL means documentation could be written. It would require time, collaboration, willingness and social skills (so I guess that counts you out).

Be well and may you live forever. As for the mods, Colin may have a much higher post count but if you go back and see his posts directed at me they are abusive.

You insist in things you cant get here and just bought the wrong device for your requirements!
And permanently repeating the same questions wont help anyone when you got well explained answers days before.

I got my heavy troubles with mods too, but in this case Colin is absolutely right ... and polite too when he is saying get a generic HW with open source software.

You are really an arrogant person.
I am truly sorry you feel that way and it was not my intention to insult you. For that I apologise.

I do not regard myself as a "genius" (far from it), neither do I regard you as "plebeian". In fact as your signature states you are a "Former full time IT professional" I regard you as an equal. As such my answers to your questions tended to be terse and to the point. A "robust exchange of opinions" if you like. Unfortunately I realise this has come across as being arrogant and rude. Again I apologise. If you were obviously a "noob" I would have taken more care in how I answered.

I shall endeavour to be more thoughtful before replying in the future.

P.S. I did not realise your original post was meant to be facetious.

You are really an arrogant person. I was making a facetious remark because I do understand aspects of this are closed source. You truly are a genius at this, no doubt, but your treatment towards me has been nothing short of disrespectful in all of our interactions.

Can't we all just get along?

Remember @johnathonm - you can edit and revise your post.

I am truly sorry you feel that way and it was not my intention to insult you. For that I apologise.

I do not regard myself as a "genius" (far from it), neither do I regard you as "plebeian". In fact as your signature states you are a "Former full time IT professional" I regard you as an equal. As such my answers to your questions tended to be terse and to the point. A "robust exchange of opinions" if you like. Unfortunately I realise this has come across as being arrogant and rude. Again I apologise. If you were obviously a "noob" I would have taken more care in how I answered.

I shall endeavour to be more thoughtful before replying in the future.

P.S. I did not realise your original post was meant to be facetious.

I think what happened here is that we don't have tone because we are writing. I apologize for being disrespectful to you as it is warranted here. It might be just a clash of writing styles between us both but know that I am trying my best to learn from a different perspective. I have always been a Windows or OS X admin or support staff. I knew unix at a user level but I am trying to expand my knowledge base. That will of course mean doing stupid things sometimes but I am learning by experimenting.

I hope we can clear the air here and start over. Your wealth of knowledge is, no doubt, superior to mine in this area. I stand to learn a lot from you and would like to do that very thing. I just ask that you be patient with me or flat out tell me no don't do that it will break something. I hope we can start over from here and be not just equals but colleagues who are striving towards the same goals.

I accept that I may have misread the tone and apologize for retorting your posts towards me. I just have felt that many of them were very condescending which may very well not been your intention.

So, I apologize and want to start over and lets kill this thread. I hope you will continue to work with me and I hope someday soon I can repay the debt of knowledge you have paid out to me.

Respectfully,

Johnathon

t would require time, collaboration, willingness and social skills (so I guess that counts you out).
So, @johnathonm you think @ColinTaylor Is the one lacking social skills here?
Colin is one of the most respected members here. Be careful what words you drop here. We are volunteering our help and knowledge on this board. Insulting members is not welcome here.

So, @johnathonm you think @ColinTaylor Is the one lacking social skills here?
Colin is one of the most respected members here. Be careful what words you drop here. We are volunteering our help and knowledge on this board. Insulting members is not welcome here.

I just wrote an apology to him, I misread tone. It is a post above yours. I also did not insult anyone and neither did he. We had a communication breakdown for which I take responsibility. I made a mistake and you're right to be on the defensive. I cannot do any more than apologize, take ownership and try to do better.

Hell,

I would throw down $500 USD towards the writing of a detailed manual specific to the firmware. That offer does stand.

You'd have to throw that at Asus. There's a lot of undocumented things there I myself have absolutely no idea what they're for or how they work.

Also note that Linux is not an operating system. Linux in itself is just a kernel. What makes something an OS is the kernel plus all the userland stuff that's around that kernel. In Asuswrt's case, it's all put together with various other third party components, some open-sourced (like busybox), others closed source (like the Trend Micro engine), and some custom developed for the firmware (like the rc and httpd services). Everything is glued together through a custom design, unlike your average Linux distro that uses SysV init or systemd to put everything together.

Last edited:
You'd have to throw that at Asus. There's a lot of undocumented things there I myself have absolutely no idea what they're for or how they work.

Ha... they've already gotten several thousand from me. I wish they made it easier for you to work with their code. I haven't looked at the GPL but are they fully documenting the code or just sort of dumping it out there saying "here you go!"? Would having access to anything from behind broadcom's paywall be of help to you in your development efforts or would it not matter?

@johnathonm Thank you for your understanding. Many people like myself that work in the technical side of IT are "somewhat lacking" in the social niceties (Linus Torvalds I'm looking at you ;)) and this gets amplified when typing text into the internet. I'm also very slow (and lazy) when composing replies which makes my replies so abrupt.

Best Wishes.

Ha... they've already gotten several thousand from me. I wish they made it easier for you to work with their code.

Asuswrt is simply too large for one single developer to handle, due to the sheer size of it. Not much Asus could do about it, they themselves have a whole team of full-time developers working on it.

I haven't looked at the GPL but are they fully documenting the code or just sort of dumping it out there saying "here you go!"?

There's close to zero comments in the code, and what little is there is generally written in pretty bad English. And since the code was written by different persons over different periods of time, there's no consistent code style either, making it even harder to read the code at times.

Many people like myself that work in the technical side of IT are "somewhat lacking" in the social niceties

You guys are lucky that you see more my Canadian side than my Quebecer side...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!