What's new

services-start or firewall-start for iptables scripts?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'd say firewall start, then if the service restarts for some reason, your script runs as well.

I'd say firewall start, then if the service restarts for some reason, your script runs as well.
That was my thinking, but I had better luck with ya-malware and iBlocklists in service-start, for some reason firewall start caused them to never finish running.

That was my thinking, but I had better luck with ya-malware and iBlocklists in service-start, for some reason firewall start caused them to never finish running.
Then find the reason why.
This is a service activated user script and related scripts belong in that file.

Just as post-mount is the only one to place scripts that depend on the USB device(s) being mounted when it runs.
I'm sure you read the wiki: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/User-scripts

Then find the reason why.
This is a service activated user script and related scripts belong in that file.

Just as post-mount is the only one to place scripts that depend on the USB device(s) being mounted when it runs.
I'm sure you read the wiki: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/User-scripts
Yes read the wiki, I've even contributed on it ;-)

I did some debugging a while back and so couldn't resolve, so went with what worked. Tbh I've changed scripts around since then, I could probably revisit it.

services-start is only run once at boot time, so anything that can be changed later on such as the firewall shouldn't be manipulated there.

firewall-start (filter) and nat-start (mangle/nat) are the places to put anything involving iptables.

I think I remember why, the blocking scripts don't look to clean themselves i.e. it'd add duplicated rules

I've since reviewed the scripts and they do now clean up, so moved to firewall-start, and rebooted, and hey presto!

As you already found out it had to be firewall-start.

QOS wipes all rules and starts a clean slate.

As you already found out it had to be firewall-start.

QOS wipes all rules and starts a clean slate.
that esplains why the ip tables sript i tried to make didnt work.

I've since reviewed the scripts and they do now clean up, so moved to firewall-start, and rebooted, and hey presto!
@Jack Yaz I use the firewall-start to re-instate the iptable rules if the ipsets already exists, and the setup that is posted in #1 post of ya-malware-block. I have no issues when firewall is re-started multiple times.

Also @FreshJR and @Vexira Take a note of the reinstatement snippet (in the wiki under a different heading) You should ideally not use the wildcard rule, and make a case for the ipsets that you use, to re-instate the iptables rule when the firewall restarts.