What's new

Wireguard Session Manager - Discussion (2nd) thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Martineau

Part of the Furniture
Last edited:
I know, this has nothing to do with the Session Manager, but i'll ask anyway.

Wireguard itself is still under developement.
Do we profit from these ongoing developments/updates? Are there any relevant updates (eg. security) anyways?
I see, the kernel module and tools are from February/March.
Does @Odkrys incooperate these developements in his releases?

I know, this has nothing to do with the Session Manager, but i'll ask anyway.

Wireguard itself is still under developement.
Do we profit from these ongoing developments/updates? Are there any relevant updates (eg. security) anyways?
I see, the kernel module and tools are from February/March.
Does @Odkrys incooperate these developements in his releases?
Given there has already been a snarky post regarding lack of foresight for recklessly allowing exposure to undisclosed wireguard security issues, I am rapidly accepting the fact that this wireguard_manager project is effectively dead.

i.e. unless the Entware team (pinging @ryzhov_al ) can provide/compile/release the necessary Kernel binaries on a scheduled regular basis (as they currently do for the 'Go' userspace-version ?), I will probably take down wireguard_manager if I convince myself that supporting both the Kernel and 'Go' versions isn't practical or even required.

Given there has already been a snarky post regarding lack of foresight for recklessly allowing exposure to undisclosed wireguard security issues, I am rapidly accepting the fact that this wireguard_manager project is effectively dead.

i.e. unless the Entware team (pinging @ryzhov_al ) can provide/compile/release the necessary Kernel binaries on a scheduled regular basis (as they currently do for the 'Go' userspace-version ?), I will probably take down wireguard_manager if I convince myself that supporting both the Kernel and 'Go' versions isn't practical or even required.
sad to hear this, but I agree.

didnt the 'Go' version have some security implications as well? feels like going back to the stone-age to revert to Open VPN, like walking in a pool of mud...

//Zeb

This is a shame. I mean I can't speak about security. But WG is so much faster than OpenVPN.

wonder what it would take to compile this ourselves? looking at @Odkrys github page it looks like instructions on how to compile this, perhaps he wishes someone to take over the compilation process?

it looks like he points to the source of packages here:
wireguard-linux-compat - WireGuard kernel module backport for Linux 3.10 - 5.5 (zx2c4.com)

latest release is: 2021-06-06
could it be compiled on my router (AC86) or desktop (dont have any linux desktop)? I have not compiled anything for many years now and especially not embedded so I dont know if I have what it takes. or are there some better than me to attempt this??

//Zeb

wonder what it would take to compile this ourselves? looking at @Odkrys github page it looks like instructions on how to compile this, perhaps he wishes someone to take over the compilation process?

it looks like he points to the source of packages here:
wireguard-linux-compat - WireGuard kernel module backport for Linux 3.10 - 5.5 (zx2c4.com)

latest release is: 2021-06-06
could it be compiled on my router (AC86) or desktop (dont have any linux desktop)? I have not compiled anything for many years now and especially not embedded so I dont know if I have what it takes. or are there some better than me to attempt this??

//Zeb
Back in March 2020, as an excercise, I half heartedly tried to spend a couple of hours trying to compile for the RT-AX56U/RT-AX58U, but didn't succeed, so I posted a query
and was eventually pointed to a compatible module -although the module location went AWOL.

I really didn't actually need wireguard on the RT-AX58U, but over the last few months I resigned myself to reluctantly eventually revisiting attempts to compile the module for the RT-AC86U router but really haven't had the time.

The broadcom sdk has a lot of patches in the kernel, which causes the RT-AX86U to turn off hardware acceleration to use WireGuard.
Besides, RT-AX58U is having issues with rebooting.
Asus has added WireGuard to the RC3 and I look forward to porting them to other models.

With Asus formally introducing Wireguard support in the near future, you might find a new purpose in tying in with their implementation, and possibly extending it a bit beyond what their UI offers. At the very least kernel modules and userspace tools will be part of the firmware.

Personally, I have only seen pre-beta code so far, so I don't know yet how well integrated it will be on my end. Knowing that WG was coming was one of the reasons why I developed VPN Director actually... I expect I will have a good amount of work to do on the client web interface, as I don't plan to use their new unified VPN client interface. I also don't know yet which models I will technically be able to support. It's possible the RT-AC86U wasn't support in their public beta due to a temporary technical issue. We'll see once updated code becomes available.

But what I do know is that, at least in the pre-beta code, it was open sourced, and not tied to their proprietary libvpn.so, so I should be able to fully support it.

didnt the 'Go' version have some security implications as well? feels like going back to the stone-age to revert to Open VPN, like walking in a pool of mud...
I have the recollection that there is a warning against using Wireguard-Go as well, but I can't find sources to confirm/cite at the moment

The broadcom sdk has a lot of patches in the kernel, which causes the RT-AX86U to turn off hardware acceleration to use WireGuard.
this might not be an issue for people who use whichever of the scripts in the @RMerlin universe that needs Hardware Acceleration disabled. <thoughtful shrug> I may be mistaken, but is it CakeQoS perhaps?

With Asus formally introducing Wireguard support in the near future,
aha, so they do listen/pay attention...this is all very good.

I'm hoping @Martineau takes @RMerlin 's advice to not get discouraged and to stick around to see what Asus ' folks put out - I don't believe there is anyone here better versed in it who can point out (and possibly suggest fixes/workarounds) just what some issues might be if/when they should happen to arise. Perhaps they'll be able to be the "impartial 3rd party" with outside perspective that might help push the firmware along from RC to GM...if its possible to loop them in on the process, that is.

this might not be an issue for people who use whichever of the scripts in the @RMerlin universe that needs Hardware Acceleration disabled. <thoughtful shrug> I may be mistaken, but is it CakeQoS perhaps?

The startup script has a mark rule to bypass hardware acceleration, but it doesn't seem to work well on newer models.

iptables -t mangle -I FORWARD -o $VPN_ID -j MARK --set-xmark 0x01/0x7
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i $VPN_ID -j MARK --set-xmark 0x01/0x7

Last edited:
Despite my puny software skills, I managed to setup a build enviroment in ubuntu, running as a virtual machine on windows 10. following @Odkrys guide was actually rather straight forward.

I had to
Code:
git clone https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng.git
and direct the path in the makefile, also update the package to download and enter the correct hash.

went smoothly all the way till the end, where it craps out:
Code:
~/Entware$ make package/wireguard-kernel/compile V=s

make[3]: Entering directory '/USERNAME/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/kernel/linux-4.1'

ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.
         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.
         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.

Makefile:421: ../../.config: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** No rule to make target '../../.config'.  Stop.

now I don't know what to do. "make oldconfig" from '/USERNAME/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/kernel/linux-4.1' doesnt work.

any help?

//Zeb

Interesting... only use ipset for policy based routing with ni other rules might be a use case not considered in wgm?
Wgm was made to not accept policy mode if there are no rules, but I guess ipset is not part of that check. Something to look into @Martineau?

I guess you can circumvent this by adding a rule for some bogus ip that you will never have:
Code:
E:Option ==> peer wg11 rule add vpn src=192.168.152.214 comment BogusRule

If you by some freak-of-nature actually use this particular ip, then change it to one you dont use.

After adding the rule you should be able to put the peer in policy mode.

//Zeb
@The Chief,@ZebMcKayhan

I've uploaded a patched wireguard_manager v4.11bB to the Github dev branch:
to eliminate the ugly workaround when attempting to enable Policy mode for a WireGuard 'client' peer that wishes to Selectively Route ONLY IPSETs (rather than specify at least one LAN devices as is usually the norm).

To upgrade use:
Code:
1  = Update Wireguard modules                       7  = Display QR code for a Peer {device} e.g. iPhone
2  = Remove WireGuard/wg_manager                    8  = Peer management [ "list" | "category" | "new" ] | [ {Peer | category} [ del | show | add [{"auto="[y|n|p]}] ]
                                                    9  = Create Key-pair for Peer {Device} e.g. Nokia6310i (creates Nokia6310i.conf etc.)
3  = List ACTIVE Peers Summary [Peer...] [full]     10 = IPSet management [ "list" ] | [ "upd" { ipset [ "fwmark" {fwmark} ] | [ "enable" {"y"|"n"}] | [ "dstsrc"] ] } ]
                                                    11 = Import Wireguard configuration { [ "?" | [ "dir" directory ] | [/path/]config_file [ rename_as ] ]} 

4  = Start   [ [Peer [nopolicy]...] | category ] e.g. start clients                                     
5  = Stop    [ [Peer... ] | category ] e.g. stop clients                                    
6  = Restart [ [Peer... ] | category ] e.g. restart servers                                 

?  = About Configuration                    
v  = View ('/jffs/addons/wireguard/WireguardVPN.conf')      

e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> uf dev

@The Chief,@ZebMcKayhan

I've uploaded a patched wireguard_manager v4.11bB to the Github dev branch:
to eliminate the ugly workaround when attempting to enable Policy mode for a WireGuard 'client' peer that wishes to Selectively Route ONLY IPSETs (rather than specify at least one LAN devices as is usually the norm).

To upgrade use:
Code:
1  = Update Wireguard modules                       7  = Display QR code for a Peer {device} e.g. iPhone
2  = Remove WireGuard/wg_manager                    8  = Peer management [ "list" | "category" | "new" ] | [ {Peer | category} [ del | show | add [{"auto="[y|n|p]}] ]
                                                    9  = Create Key-pair for Peer {Device} e.g. Nokia6310i (creates Nokia6310i.conf etc.)
3  = List ACTIVE Peers Summary [Peer...] [full]     10 = IPSet management [ "list" ] | [ "upd" { ipset [ "fwmark" {fwmark} ] | [ "enable" {"y"|"n"}] | [ "dstsrc"] ] } ]
                                                    11 = Import Wireguard configuration { [ "?" | [ "dir" directory ] | [/path/]config_file [ rename_as ] ]}

4  = Start   [ [Peer [nopolicy]...] | category ] e.g. start clients                                    
5  = Stop    [ [Peer... ] | category ] e.g. stop clients                                   
6  = Restart [ [Peer... ] | category ] e.g. restart servers                                

?  = About Configuration                   
v  = View ('/jffs/addons/wireguard/WireguardVPN.conf')     

e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> uf dev
Hi Martineau, why is your script not a part of amtm?
besides, i got 2 clients setup (wg11 & wg12 ) but i can't get the routing policy working. both of them route all devices through the vpn. how do i put them in policy? thanks

i am also getting that error below once starting wg11. not sure what it means. thank you.

wireguard-clientwg11: Initialising Wireguard VPN 'client' Peer (wg11) DNS=1.0.0.1
Error: table traffic has 6 columns but 4 values were supplied
wireguard-clientwg11: Initialisation complete.

We can't provide any kernel-specific binaries as long as Entware stays firmware-independent repo, sorry.
It's up to firmware users.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!