What's new

Set Access Intranet off in Access Point mode (ASUS RT3200)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aaron Lam

New Around Here
To my knowledge, there is no option to set Access Intranet to off in Access Point mode. So, I was thinking if it's possible to set 2 routers to Wireless Router mode?

So my current setting is this
CurrentDiagram.png
I only able to block Intranet access on 1 of my routers (RT3200-1), and that router has to connect directly to my modem, before the switch.

I was wondering can I do this
WantDiagram.png

That wouldn't normally work because a cable modem usually only supplies 1 public IP address. What you're trying to do is create two entirely separate networks, each with their own public IP address.

EDIT: Maybe your cable modem can supply multiple public IP addresses. You could ask your ISP.

To my knowledge, there is no option to set Access Intranet to off in Access Point mode. So, I was thinking if it's possible to set 2 routers to Wireless Router mode?

So my current setting is this
View attachment 14285
I only able to block Intranet access on 1 of my routers (RT3200-1), and that router has to connect directly to my modem, before the switch.

I was wondering can I do this
View attachment 14286

Some people report that you can use that setup and pull two IPs from your ISP but I have never tried it.

What will work is to double NAT your routers. Put the first router to connect to insecure devices and guest network. Block intranet access as you wanted. On your second router connect more secure devices and if you want set the guest networks to block intranet access.

A double NAT setup will not increase latency or reduce speeds. It does however make other things more complicated and perhaps impossible.

Oh, no wonder I can't connect both routers to switch in Wireless mode. I thought that ISP assigned public IP for my modem, then my routers connect to private LAN and have private IP.

Is there any switch that I buy so I can divide my LAN into private and guest connection?

Oh, no wonder I can't connect both routers to switch in Wireless mode. I thought that ISP assigned public IP for my modem, then my routers connect to private LAN and have private IP.
That would be true if your "modem" was actually a router with a built-in cable modem. You said it was a modem so I took you at your word. A modem will have one connection WAN connection (usually coax) and one LAN connection (RJ45). If it has multiple LAN ports then it's not just a modem. But that still won't solve your problem unless the modem-that's-not-modem has some sort of VLAN capability.

I still hope future AiMesh functionality will support guest access for nodes too, then it would be solved (for both of us and many others).
But what is shown as your 1st router-WAN-IP (public one or private range), that will tell you if your modem acts as router or modem only.