What's new

Set hostname with . and : on static ip list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheIronShadow

New Around Here
Today I have received my ASUS RT-AX86U. It is an amazing router and have flashed ASUSWrt-Merlin. Unfortunately when I want to assign a hostname with a . or : it does not seem to like that. I want to set it at LAN -> DHCP Server -> Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list (Max Limit : 128).

For example the hostname I want to have is mydomain.com pointed to a internal IP. I have done that with DD-WRT which worked flawelessly. Is it possible somehow on ASUSWrt-Merlin or do I need to modify the firmware to allow a . or :

A hostname is different than a URL with a port specification. DHCP and DNS only care about the hostname part. You seem to be trying to combine a DHCP reservation with a port forward rule.

hostnames cannot contain dots or colons. "mydomain.com" is not a hostname it's a domain name. Domain names cannot contain colons either.

If you want mydomain.com to resolve to an internal IP address you can create a hosts.add custom config file for it.

Last edited:
A hostname is different than a URL with a port specification. DHCP and DNS only care about the hostname part. You seem to be trying to combine a DHCP reservation with a port forward rule.
I may have written it wrong. My bad.
What I want it a url in the hostnames is a . and not specifically the :

for example I host a webserver with port 8080. When I have put in the static ip for it with the internal hostname mydomain.com I can manually do mydomain.com:8080

when I had dd-wrt I had done this and my browsers remembered.
So my question is if it is possible to only have a . In the hostname part of asuswrt-merlin?

Post #3:
hostnames cannot contain dots or colons. "mydomain.com" is not a hostname it's a domain name. Domain names cannot contain colons either.

If you want mydomain.com to resolve to an internal IP address you can create a hosts.add custom config file for it.

You can write a domain name, that applies to all your lan devices. Choose the 'Lan-Ip' tab and set the router's domain name. You can still access devices using only their computer name, but you can also use 'computer.domain'.

Thank you all for your comments. I have solved my issue by adding the domain and using the computer/hostname I set with the static IP. I couldn't make the hosts.add file or the dnsmasq file work.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!