What's new

Set up USB Samba and Download Master in AiNode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tiko

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Would anyone know how to set up the USB features on a node? I tried Transmission, Deluge and Rtorrent but all of them at some point froze the router and had to manually reboot, but download master works great for months. In lieu of fighting for free RAM and managing big Swaps, I noticed my Aimesh node has 197mb free ram all the time, and there are just there, unused.

Instead of fighting with this, I though that installing my USB drive into one of my AiMesh nodes would be just the easiest solution. But I am not able to do this.

Has anyone managed to do this? If so, could you kindly explain?

Thanks!

Can't be done when it is in aimesh mode.
If I recall, it can be enabled when setup in AP mode.

Can't be done when it is in aimesh mode.
If I recall, it can be enabled when setup in AP mode.
Hi, thanks for the info. I wanted to enable without reseting this, and I managed to do so successfully

Here is how I did it. I took out the entware USB. Then I installed download master and configured it on the USB Drive I wanted on the main Asus router.
I took it to the AiNode and plugged it in, then I waited until I saw the unit on SSH on the AiNode (command "ls -l /mnt/"). When it showed, I just did an optware update (command "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade") and then a reboot.
Then on the main router, I forwarded the port to the AiNode.

After the reboot, download master was working flawlessly and my main Asus router has the ram free.

Thanks for the tip, it lead me to think that if it was able to enable it in normal mode and sustained the config in AiMesh node, then this could work.

--Edit--

Another thing that I discovered, but probably will get screamed at over here, is that one can access AiNode gui with a change in SSH. Configure everything there and then go back to normal AiMesh

Just try:
Code:
nvram set re_mode=0
nvram commit

And when finished editing, just change the setting back from 0 to 1

Last edited:
I'm going to be setting up AiMesh for the first time with two AX11000s. This will be my first time ever setting up AiMesh.

I would like to setup the USB Time Machine app on the AiMesh node and backup a locally RJ45 attached Mac.

Looking at the last update to your method, would/could I do the following:
  1. Setup AiMesh
  2. SSH to the AiNode and set re_mode=0
  3. HTTP/HTTPS to AiNode
  4. Enable/Configure Time Machine
  5. SSH to the AiNode set re_mode=1
  6. Configure Time Machine on the Mac

I'm going to be setting up AiMesh for the first time with two AX11000s. This will be my first time ever setting up AiMesh.

I would like to setup the USB Time Machine app on the AiMesh node and backup a locally RJ45 attached Mac.

1. Setup AiMesh
  3. HTTP/HTTPS to AiNode
Yes, you would be able to access the aimesh node and do these changes. Just remember to change via SSH back to re_mode=1 and don’t do any change that require the router to reboot (like changing the lan settings) as it may not boot and require several boots for it to power up again, if that happens, just try to ssh again and change that setting, it will come back to normal.

1. Setup AiMesh
  3. HTTP/HTTPS to AiNode
You should have bought one router and one NAS. You would have better backup performance!

You should have bought one router and one NAS. You would have better backup performance!

You are correct, however I got my second ax11000 for $100 from a friend. I couldn't touch a decent NAS for that price.

Hi, thanks for the info. I wanted to enable without reseting this, and I managed to do so successfully

Here is how I did it. I took out the entware USB. Then I installed download master and configured it on the USB Drive I wanted on the main Asus router.
I took it to the AiNode and plugged it in, then I waited until I saw the unit on SSH on the AiNode (command "ls -l /mnt/"). When it showed, I just did an optware update (command "ipkg update" then "ipkg upgrade") and then a reboot.
Then on the main router, I forwarded the port to the AiNode.

After the reboot, download master was working flawlessly and my main Asus router has the ram free.

Thanks for the tip, it lead me to think that if it was able to enable it in normal mode and sustained the config in AiMesh node, then this could work.

--Edit--

Another thing that I discovered, but probably will get screamed at over here, is that one can access AiNode gui with a change in SSH. Configure everything there and then go back to normal AiMesh

Just try:
Code:
nvram set re_mode=0
nvram commit

And when finished editing, just change the setting back from 0 to 1
Don't try this today, it won't work and will make your router unusable until you reset the NVRAM.