What's new

Set WAN hostname character "/"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Juan Pedro

New Around Here
Hi,

We're trying to use the Asus RT-AC66U with an ISP witch uses a special character as part of the hostname: /
It's used in option 12 DHCP as identifier of the router and previous to assign the IP address.

Using DD-WRT it's OK, and we can to use the hostname with this special character /
But we think that the better firmware to use is AsusWRT-Merlin. It's newer, with a better GUI and more optiones (turn off leds, powerful wifi config, etc.)

Is there any way to use the character / in hostname: using scripts, editing files, etc.

Thanks a lot.

J

@pete y testing - if you want to share that on the Whirlpool site, be my guest - please include an SNBForum/smallnetbuilder.com link for attribution purposes.

np mate will do , i think there is something in a thread buried deep in the archive but might try and get one stickied as its good info

Having a forward slash in a config item is pretty darn scary - ISP should know better than this...

This is a bomb waiting to blow up on someone - esp. if they're writing scripts...

I agree about this ISP is using a poor protection to avoid the use a own router not the "oficial" from him. Here, in this country of the EU all the ISP makes wherever they want. The worst is that they increase the cost of the services when they want and there's only a possibiliy to migrate to another ISP during a month, if you're able to read in time the notification which appears in the last page of the invoice with the smallest font size of the printing...

But the little problem make us to use an old firmware from DDWRT instead of the Merlin, the use of slash mark i "wan-setup"->optional settings"->"hostname".

Who is the ISP?

Many times you have no choice but to run their Router on the ingress side (where it comes in), but putting one's own router/AP in the provider's device DMZ is an option... others differentiate services based on VLAN tags, so there's an option there as well...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!