What's new

Setting a static hostname...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ADFHogan

Regular Contributor
If my internet connection has a static IP by way of DHCP reservation at ISP, and I have a hostname pointed to that IP address, what's the proper way to configure that hostname on the router so it's used for DHCP domain (so internal hostnames are in a globally unique domain) and appears correctly in log messages and the router UI?

At the moment, I'm using a dummy custom dynamic DNS script to set my router's FQDN. Is there another way I should be doing it?

Code:
/jffs/scripts# cat ddns-start
#!/bin/sh

/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1

exit 0

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but your hostname can be configured in LAN > LAN IP > Device name and the (local) domain can be configured in the next tab, LAN > DHCP Server > {your router model}'s Domain Name. Your router will now be accessible locally as well by {device name}.{(local) domain}. Clients with a network name (for example when entered in the table with static dhcp leases) will be accessible as well by {device name}.{(local) domain}. When looking at syslog, I think it depends which process is logging to syslog, but I see mostly local IP's being used instead of hostname.(local)domain.

I think you might be getting confused with the differences between host names and domains. If for example Asus DDNS has assigned the host name xyz.asuscomm.com to your WAN IP address that doesn't mean you own the domain asuscomm.com.

Or do you own the domain associated with your WAN host name?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!