What's new

Setting up ER-X with AC68U as AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gabzprime

Occasional Visitor
I just recently bought an Edgrouter X(will arrive on the weekend). I currently have an AC68U as a router. Reason for buying an ER-X is because Im not comfortable using Asus' QOS with TrendMicro's data collection.

I do have some question:
  1. I will probably just use the wizard to setup ER-X then customize later. Anything I need to be wary of in terms of security? I am assuming that the wizard will have sensible defaults(like GUI not being accessible from WAN etc).
  2. For the AC68U, I just set operation mode to AP instead of Router. Should be it right?
  3. If the AC68U is setup as an AP, I could find the IP address from the router(ER-X). But what if my router(ER-X) got broke. How do I access the AC68U since no one will assign IP?

2. Correct.
3. When you configure it as an AP you are given a choice whether you want it to get its IP address through DHCP or to assign it manually.

2. Correct.
3. When you configure it as an AP you are given a choice whether you want it to get its IP address through DHCP or to assign it manually.

If I assign manually and the ER-X breaks, can I just assign an IP to my laptop then connect to the AP, can I access the AC68U's admin page?