1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Setting up ER-X with AC68U as AP

Discussion in 'Routers' started by gabzprime, Jun 3, 2020.

1. gabzprime

gabzprime Occasional Visitor

I just recently bought an Edgrouter X(will arrive on the weekend). I currently have an AC68U as a router. Reason for buying an ER-X is because Im not comfortable using Asus' QOS with TrendMicro's data collection.

I do have some question:
    1. I will probably just use the wizard to setup ER-X then customize later. Anything I need to be wary of in terms of security? I am assuming that the wizard will have sensible defaults(like GUI not being accessible from WAN etc).
    2. For the AC68U, I just set operation mode to AP instead of Router. Should be it right?
    3. If the AC68U is setup as an AP, I could find the IP address from the router(ER-X). But what if my router(ER-X) got broke. How do I access the AC68U since no one will assign IP?

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

2. Correct.
    3. When you configure it as an AP you are given a choice whether you want it to get its IP address through DHCP or to assign it manually.

3. gabzprime

gabzprime Occasional Visitor

If I assign manually and the ER-X breaks, can I just assign an IP to my laptop then connect to the AP, can I access the AC68U's admin page?

4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Yes

gabzprime likes this.