What's new

Setting up Open VPN Server on Asus RT-AC68U with Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TorqueSport

New Around Here
Hi All,

First post so please go easy on me!

I have limited networking experience, but can generally work my way through problems.

My requirements are as follows:
I need to be able to connect from my iphone away from home, to the my home network to access the internet as well as network devices such as a NAS etc.

I have successfully managed to get the Open VPN server working on Asus RT-AC68U running merlin 384.8_2 to the point where my iphone (not connected on wifi) can connect to the VPN server and can access the internet through the VPN.

However, as well as routing internet through the VPN I also would like devices on my home LAN to be available to the iphone when connected through the VPN.
At the moment, this is not working, i.e. I can not access 192.168.1.5 from my iphone when connected through VPN.
The router IP is 192.168.1.1

I have tried and failed every single different fix method I have found on google.
This includes custom script, routing table.

Nothing I try will allow me to connect to 192.168.1.5

The iphone is given an IP of 10.8.0.2 by the VPN server and the device is on 192.168.1.5, so I know this a routing issue, but I can't see to find a setting to fix this.

Can anyone suggest an idea for me to try get this working?

here is the current set up:
1.png

Thanks in advance

I don’t run a VPN, but I would check that the device at 192.168.1.5 does not have its own firewall that is blocking 10.8.0.0 addresses.

I am pretty sure it is not, but I think the solution is I need the LAN devices to think that they are being accessed from the same subnet, but I just don't know how to do this.

For info I tried the guide by Yorgi here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...with-asus-routers-380-68-updated-08-24.33638/

But I do not have the Push LAN to clients option on my set up - not entirely sure if this is the problem
The Push LAN to clients and some other options were removed in recent firmware update. I have seen this question before. I think the main complaint was not being able to connect to a NAS though. I believe the issues is because you are on a different subnet when connected to your LAN over the VPN tunnel.

ON OpenVPN server it's possible to "push" routes to connecting clients. So in the server config something like push "route 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.255". More details here.

https://openvpn.net/community-resources/how-to/#scope

Please let us know if it works.

Ouch. My head is spinning. I'm trying to do similar and am having similar problems. If my laptop is onsite I can ping most things and connect to our database.

If the same laptop is offsite I can connect to the VPN. I can ping my printers and even log into the printers. Nothing else answers pings and I cannot connect to our database.

This thread has already given me some new ideas to try. Maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks all.

I am also experiencing the same issue. This is the first time I've tried to configure openvpn server on my 68u.

I can connect remotely and I can only ping/access certain devices e.g. My set top boxes however I cannot get to any of my Nas boxes. All the Nas boxes are on static ip, just like the set top boxes.

I'll be following this thread to see if there's anything I've missed.

Thanks

Also following this thread for a solution. I am able to use Tunnelblick on my Mac to access local resources. OpenVPN clients on iOS devices are the ones that cannot access local resources. I've added the push route configuration to the VPN server but this didn't work for me.

Hi All,

First post so please go easy on me!

I have limited networking experience, but can generally work my way through problems.

My requirements are as follows:
I need to be able to connect from my iphone away from home, to the my home network to access the internet as well as network devices such as a NAS etc.

I have successfully managed to get the Open VPN server working on Asus RT-AC68U running merlin 384.8_2 to the point where my iphone (not connected on wifi) can connect to the VPN server and can access the internet through the VPN.

However, as well as routing internet through the VPN I also would like devices on my home LAN to be available to the iphone when connected through the VPN.
At the moment, this is not working, i.e. I can not access 192.168.1.5 from my iphone when connected through VPN.
The router IP is 192.168.1.1

I have tried and failed every single different fix method I have found on google.
This includes custom script, routing table.

Nothing I try will allow me to connect to 192.168.1.5

The iphone is given an IP of 10.8.0.2 by the VPN server and the device is on 192.168.1.5, so I know this a routing issue, but I can't see to find a setting to fix this.

Can anyone suggest an idea for me to try get this working?

here is the current set up:
1.png

Thanks in advance
TorqueSport.

Did you solve your connection problem?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk