What's new

Settings to optimize wifi AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

moron+genius

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, I have install a TP Link EAP245 wap powered by Linksys LGS308P POE switch with R7000 router. However I'm not happy with the wifi performance so I would like to know how I can optimize the system with the right settings in both wap and switch. This is the 1st time I'm using these equipment and am overwhelmed by the many settings in the GUIs. Hope experts here can help me. Thanks!

Please define what performance you are not happy with? Is it speed? Range? Which WiFi are you not happy with...the TPLink or the Netgear?

Wifi speed of tp link AP. Router wifi is turned off. I'm get ~50mbps up/down on 5Ghz using Lan Speed Test lite. Hoping to improve the speed if there are any settings I need to make. Thanks.

Have you done a similar speed test when fully wired to confirm your client and server can transfer faster than that?
- What are you using as the server in the test? (wired, wireless, etc)
- What are you using as the client? (WiFi specs mostly interested in)

Generally, the basics apply to tune:
- Confirm you are getting 1Gbps network link on the AP
- Confirm you are using 40MHz channel width on the 5GHz radio
- Confirm the capabilities of your client

Have you done a similar speed test when fully wired to confirm your client and server can transfer faster than that?
- What are you using as the server in the test? (wired, wireless, etc)
- What are you using as the client? (WiFi specs mostly interested in)

Generally, the basics apply to tune:
- Confirm you are getting 1Gbps network link on the AP
- Confirm you are using 40MHz channel width on the 5GHz radio
- Confirm the capabilities of your client
i have done file copy from a LG Gram Laptop with intel AC7265 to a DLink 320L NAS over the wifi connection after setting 40Mhz channel width and are happy to get ~100mbps up/down now. In the AP & switch GUI it shows the ports are running 1000mbps. thanks for the advice. hope there are other settings to further improve the speed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!