What's new

Setup 5ghz wireless band only for guest network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rando

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have the AC-3100 with latest stable merlin firmware. Anyone know if you can set a SSID over the 5ghz band to only be on the guest network?

I have Chromecasts, Roku, and Google Nest items in my house and I would like to move them all to the guest network over 5ghz to keep them from gaining access to the internal LAN.

I have a RT-N66U used as a Wireless Extender on one end of the house and a RP-AC56 as an extender on the other. I would like to use these two extend the 5ghz guest network while using the same SSID on all three devices.

I'm trying to only use 2 SSID's through out the whole network. An internal Lan SSID over the 2.4ghz band and a guest network SSID over the 5ghz band.

Under Wireless - General it does not let me remove the SSID from the Lan side 5ghz band. If I disable this band it also disables the guest side of house.

Any ideas?

Thanks

You can't disable a primary wireless network while leaving its guest network(s) active. Guest networks are merely virtual SSIDs attached to the primary SSID. You can however give the primary SSID a different name and password and then hide that SSID.

You can't disable a primary wireless network while leaving its guest network(s) active. Guest networks are merely virtual SSIDs attached to the primary SSID. You can however give the primary SSID a different name and password and then hide that SSID.

Thanks just trying to limit the amount of SSIDs per device as I heard more than 3 or more could cause issues.

Current Setup:

AC-3100 - Router
Primary Wireless Network
2.4ghz SSID#1
5GHZ SSID#2 - 2 Roku's and a Nest Device are currently connected to this SSID

Guest Network
2.4ghz SSID#3
5ghz SSID#4 - Hidden

RT-N66U Extender
5ghz Connects to Router over SSID#4 and extends this same Guest Network - ChromeCast1 is currently connected to this SSID
2.4ghz is currently broadcasting the same SSID name as SSID#3 - Used for Guests to connect to

RP-AC56U Extender
2.4ghz Connects to Router with SSID#3 and extends this same Guest network - used for guests and an older device that can only connect over the 2.4ghz band
5ghz - is currently using SSID#5 which is hidden and Chromecast 2 connects to it

So if a take my phone and connect to Guest network SSID#3 and stand next to the RT-N66U I can only see the chromecast connected thru the RT-N66U. If I connect to the same SSID#3 and stand next to the RP-AC56U I can only see Chromecast 2. Would like to be able to use one guest network SSID and see all devices.

What I would like to do is or if anyone else has any other ideas..

AC-3100 - Router
Primary Wireless Network
2.4ghz SSID#1 - only used for internal lan devices
5GHZ SSID#2 - Would like to not use at all or what was suggested of putting in a SSID and making it hidden, or if possible setting up a separate VLAN?? Is that possible?

Guest Network
2.4ghz SSID#3 - Used for Guests when they come to house
5ghz SSID#4 - Hidden and used for Extenders to communicate with router and for the static Steaming Devices to use.

RT-N66U Extender
5ghz Connects to Router over SSID#4 - ChromeCast1 would connect to this SSID
2.4ghz Used to extend the same SSID#3

RP-AC56U Extender
5ghz Connects to Router over SSID#4 - ChromeCast1 would connect to this SSID
2.4ghz Used to extend the same SSID#3