What's new

Setup AP on RP-AC68U; 2.5ghz network dont show

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kloejen

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I am trying to setup an Access Point (AP) using the RP-AC68U.

So i plug my network cable into LAN port 1, and access the administration menu. Here i setup the AP, both with 2.4, and 5 ghz network.

I check with my phone that the 2 access points will show up, but only 5ghz network shows ups.

I wonder what i am doing wrong. Is it not possible to have both 2.4 ghz & 5 ghz in AP mode?

I have upgraded the firmware on the router. And before i setup AP, i set the router to default factory settings.
Still i only see 5ghz network.

My laptop will only accept 2.4 ghz connections.

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance :)

Regards
kloejen

maybe wrong region setting (ch 12+13 not allowed in US/CAN), where are you and which channel is 2G set to on your AP?

Sure both should work, is it turned on in wifi-prof settings (first change to 2G in first line)?

Hi Grisu, thanks for replying.

Im located in Sweden.

I've set 2.4 ghz network to
Channel bandwith: 20 mhz
Control channel: AUTO

I set the network cable in port 1 in the ASUS router, and in the WAN port on my adsl router (Telia TG799vac).
Now i can see the 2.4 ghz network, but i cant access the internet.

Hi Grisu, thanks for replying.

Im located in Sweden.

I've set 2.4 ghz network to
Channel bandwith: 20 mhz
Control channel: AUTO

I set the network cable in port 1 in the ASUS router, and in the WAN port on my adsl router (Telia TG799vac).
Now i can see the 2.4 ghz network, but i cant access the internet.
Set to WPA2-personal?
Begin with easy 8 digit passwort and no charaters (only '_' allowed) for SSID.

Yes, WPA2 personal AES

Only small (english only) letters in password.

Seems if i connect to the WAN port of the adsl router with cable, the entire network goes down. But inserting cable in another port, i can reach some sites, but not others.

This is weird...

Seems if i connect to the WAN port of the adsl router with cable, the entire network goes down. But inserting cable in another port, i can reach some sites, but not others.
Whats if you connect your laptop directly to modem-router LAN port?

Use another LAN port, maybe LAN1 and/or 2 got a special function for TV or something like that, try 3 or 4 as well!

Whats if you connect your laptop directly to modem-router LAN port?

Use another LAN port, maybe LAN1 got a special function for TV or something like that, try 3 or 4 as well!

I tried that. Works fine. The port is no special port. Standard network jack.

I reverted back to repeater mode, and now its fine.. slow, but works.

Yes i upgraded the firmware to v3.0.0.4.382_40019

Well, AP mode sux, but repeater mode works.

And thanks for your help :)

There are known problems with the RP-AC68U in AP mode. Search the forums. Most people that have tried have given up. The consensus seems to be that the RP-AC68U is just a bad product.

EDIT: It sounds like your original problem of only seeing one WiFi band might have been connected to the device being configured in ExpressWay mode.

Last edited:
There are known problems with the RP-AC68U in AP mode. Search the forums. Most people that have tried have given up. The consensus seems to be that the RP-AC68U is just a bad product.

EDIT: It sounds like your original problem of only seeing one WiFi band might have been connected to the device being configured in ExpressWay mode.

Yea i read alot of unhappy posts about it. Wish i had checked this site earlier.

Btw, i have never had the device in ExpressWay mode. But hey, i'll leave it on the expressway for any truck to run over it;)

I'm pretty sure both routers are figthing over the same IP. probably 192.168.1.1.

Im aware of that, and i have tried to change IP adress on adsl-modem-router, and on the ASUS router, so they dont conflict. This somehow messes everything up, and i couldnt connect to the ASUS anymore, using only LAN cable, until i factory reset it.

I'm pretty sure both routers are figthing over the same IP. probably 192.168.1.1.
Quite possibly with a buggy firmware. But the point is that the Asus isn't a router... it's a repeater or possibly an access point, so in theory it should never get an IP address of 192.168.1.1. In theory.:rolleyes:

And maybe it makes a huge difference whether you first config Asus and then connect to modem, then it already got a "bad" IP same as modem.
So possibly it could be solved by factory reset, turn off, connect to modem and then power on and setup to AP mode.
Have you ever tried another port on Asus, could be a LAN port is better than WAN port on it.

It doesn't have a WAN port because it's not a router.
I know but he named one port WAN in his posting #3.

Now things clear up for me, misunderstood what he had done because it has been to unrealistic for me to think that way!
He meant ethernet going to WAN port of his MODEM !!!
That cant work at all!

You have to use a LAN port of your modem connecting to any LAN port on your AP-mode 'repeater' (on other routers like RT-AC68U you would use the WAN port instead).

Last edited:
I changed from the WAN port, to LAN and it works with repeater mode.

I'll try the setup order you mentioned too, could be it.

Will report back, thanks :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!