What's new

Setup to Monitor Dual Band N/W on my PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Curmudgeon10

Occasional Visitor
I have a dual band ASUS AC68R Wireless router that works well in my home, with 11 wireless devices on three floors. Can't complain.

I am looking for a capability to run on my PC that would simply show me this network, by frequency band, all the applicable data for each link, etc. I thought Inssider would do this, and although it had worked well when everything was on 2.4GHz, it wouldn't show my 5GHz links. I guess I didn't understand how Inssider worked, because I thought it would capture data from the router, which is connected to the PC via ethernet. However, reading a post on another forum, someone said the PC needed both the 2.4 and 5GHZ wireless capability for Inssider to work, so I acquired a Trendnet 684UB Dual Band USB adapter, and installed it on the PC.

Still no chart of the 5GHz signal on Inssider. The utility for the adapter has a "survey" feature which shows all the local networks, identical to those shown on Inssider. But just as Inssider, no 5GHZ network (I have given that one a separate SSID). Quite a bit of internet chatter is around on the limits of the Trendnet 684UB, about how one cannot have both radios on simultaneously, and I have attempted (what a poor and difficult to interpret beast it's configuration utility is...) to put the adapter in 5GHz mode only, but in this case, the survey just shows a blank --- no networks detected at all in that range.

I know the router is broadcasting on 5GHz because my iPad and one of my Apple TVs is connected to the router on that 5GHz network.

So it may be beyond my capabilities to get this Trendnet thing working.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make that wireless adapter work so that it will sense and display 5GHz data, or lacking that, how I might better achieve my goal: something I can run on the PC that shows what devices are on the network, on what frequency, with the other technical data one normally finds with network management tools.

If you have a fairly new smart phone, perhaps it can be used, along with the free download "WiFi Analyzer", which is for Android. I use it on my HTC One which is dual-band. I didn't yet find an equivalent for iPhone or iPad.

Inssider works with 5Ghz... as long as your WiFi adapter and drivers support 5Ghz (e.g. a B/G/N adapter can't see 5Ghz)

Do bear in mind that you have to have visible SSID's - if you cloak, it won't see it.

FYI - some adapters, depending on channel used at the Access Point, will not attach - Channels 100-140 esp in the DFS zone...

If you have a fairly new smart phone, perhaps it can be used, along with the free download "WiFi Analyzer", which is for Android. I use it on my HTC One which is dual-band. I didn't yet find an equivalent for iPhone or iPad.

Yes, Apple doesn't allow this sort of app, for some reason. I'm guessing that they worry about people using a wifi analyzer app to find free wifi in their neighborhood, and don't care about their usefulness for tuning their users' own home wireless networks. Just another reason to have at least one Android device (or a laptop with inSSIDer)...I find this Apple blind spot to be really annoying and counterproductive.

Yes, Apple doesn't allow this sort of app, for some reason. I'm guessing that they worry about people using a wifi analyzer app to find free wifi in their neighborhood, and don't care about their usefulness for tuning their users' own home wireless networks. Just another reason to have at least one Android device (or a laptop with inSSIDer)...I find this Apple blind spot to be really annoying and counterproductive.

Apple put the ban hammer on scanner apps for iOS as they have to use a private API.

If you Jailbrake, there are several scanners over in Cydia land...

For MacOS X - this isn't an issue, and there are several good tools out there.

iphone and ipad won't get it untill apple changes thier store policy. They will not allow network scanning apps, however they are perfectly ok with apps that spy on you or fart apps -_-

iphone and ipad won't get it untill apple changes thier store policy. They will not allow network scanning apps, however they are perfectly ok with apps that spy on you or fart apps -_-
Why would apple restrict such an app? It doesn't transmit; it's passive.