What's new

Share security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hollywood

New Around Here
Hi,
I plugged in a 1tb SSD into the USB port of my RT-AX58u router to use as a music server. My players around the house all find the music library without issue.

Under "Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" it is set to "Allow guest login". The SSD has a master folder called MusicServer, and all of the Artists have sub folders, and there are Album sub folders in each Artist folder. Works PERFECT! I can see the MusicServer folder as a Windows 11 network share and add and delete to it like I expect.

The router web page complains that there is a security issue allowing guest logons.

When I try to turn off the toggle to NOT allow guest logon, my Windows 11 desktop now asks for the share name and password. I enter the same name and password as I use to logon to the router. It is accepted, but Windows now lists all of the Artist sub folders under the router share rather then the master folder "MusicServer" like it did when I allowed guest logons.

I also tried this an a RT-AX88u router and had the same results. With the Allow guest logon ON, I can open the MusicServer folder on my computer and easily update it, but OFF I can only access the sub folders.

What am I doing wrong that the TOP folder is not listed while requiring a password?

Thanks!

This is normal. With guest logon enabled you're sharing the entire disk as a single entity. When you disable guest logon you have to share each folder in the root directory individually because that's how the permissions are managed.

This is normal. With guest logon enabled you're sharing the entire disk as a single entity. When you disable guest logon you have to share each folder in the root directory individually because that's how the permissions are managed.
Makes sense. Thanks for explaining it.

I think the files will still be safe enough as anyone with access must have the network password.

Thanks again!