What's new

Share TV + Internet between 3 houses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

capbarbaruiva

New Around Here
Hello,

I am looking for some technical help. I made a small drawing to be easier to understand
My father (house A), me (house B) and my brother ( house C) live in the same land in 3 different houses.
My father has TV + internet (fiber) and I want to use the same TV + internet in my home and in my brothers.
We have an underground tunnel to run cables. The distance from house A to B or C is +/- 90 meters.
I want to split the bandwidth between the 3 houses so no one can eat the full bandwidth.

We have fiber optic cables prepared to take the signal from A to B and to C.
I was thinking on using TP-Link MC220L ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GQDRWK/?tag=smallncom-21 )

please have a look at the two images. I hope I am not missing any info and that my intention is clear enough.

Hope I can get some help to go through with this. maybe this is not the best way.
thx

House_TV_internet_share.png

Schematic.png
House_TV_internet_share.png

Last edited:
looks like you need a good router that can bandwidth limit all 3 houses so that no one effects the other , eg house A , B and C behind the router and bandwidth managed , i dont see any need for fibre as cat 6 ethernet would be ample for those runs but if you have the fibre laid you may as well use it

choice of router to use as the gateway i would prob look at some form of pc with psfence or the like as it looks like the router is going to be doing quite some heavy lifting and a standard router out of a box would prob struggle

you could run another router in each house that would be on different subnets to isolate each house to some degree and also provide wifi or just run wireless access points in each house and let the main router do everything thats your choice

its not really a complicated setup just depends on how much money you want to throw at it

pete

looks like you need a good router that can bandwidth limit all 3 houses so that no one effects the other , eg house A , B and C behind the router and bandwidth managed , i dont see any need for fibre as cat 6 ethernet would be ample for those runs but if you have the fibre laid you may as well use it

choice of router to use as the gateway i would prob look at some form of pc with psfence or the like as it looks like the router is going to be doing quite some heavy lifting and a standard router out of a box would prob struggle

you could run another router in each house that would be on different subnets to isolate each house to some degree and also provide wifi or just run wireless access points in each house and let the main router do everything thats your choice

its not really a complicated setup just depends on how much money you want to throw at it

pete
Fiber would avoid potential ground loops from different ground voltages on electrical system earthing . Easy way to avoid headaches.

Are you using pre-cut, terminated and polished, certified optical fiber that you can return if defective or are you having this done by a company that will test and certify the installation ?
Do you have access to an OTDR or a technician with one ?
Be sure and watch the bend radius and avoid any mechanical damage the the optical cable. Generally, you don't pull single optical cable but lay it in place, support, and loosely secure it.

Last edited:
Thx for the replies.

Well, obviously the less you spend the better. I have build WiFi links before but had some headaches in the process. I am not an expert. I know nothing about fiber. And little about wifi /LAN. just an average user trying to deal with the needs/problems that come buy.

I just want something that works and don't know any company that I am sure that will be able to build this the right way. And of course without spending a lot of money.

The company that installed things on house A with fiber is no longer an option and we also came to realise that their knowledge is limited.

Maybe I should start with the cat 6 cable and if I run into problems I will try the fiber.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Fiber would avoid potential ground loops from different ground voltages on electrical system earthing . Easy way to avoid headaches.

Are you using pre-cut, terminated and polished, certified optical fiber that you can return if defective or are you having this done by a company that will test and certify the installation ?
Do you have access to an OTDR or a technician with one ?
Be sure and watch the bend radius and avoid any mechanical damage the the optical cable. Generally, you don't pull single optical cable but lay it in place, support, and loosely secure it.
No OTDR here.
Just have a short fiber cable on the rack at house A. Would need to buy the required length. But if it is like you are saying I better find some company that would do it for me.

I will try the easier way first with armored cat 6 cable and router at house A.

No OTDR here.
Just have a short fiber cable on the rack at house A. Would need to buy the required length. But if it is like you are saying I better find some company that would do it for me.

I will try the easier way first with armored cat 6 cable and router at house A.

Are the 3 building electrical system earth grounds common or is there one per building ?
If there is one at each building service entrance, how far apart are they ?
The reason i ask, is that if the soil conditions are right, you may get significant ground voltage differences between ends of the Cat 6 cable on the separate equipment at each end. This can lead to early component failure. i have seen buildings 10m apart have enough potential difference that there was over 25 volts and network equipment was damaged.

Are the 3 building electrical system earth grounds common or is there one per building ?
If there is one at each building service entrance, how far apart are they ?
The reason i ask, is that if the soil conditions are right, you may get significant ground voltage differences between ends of the Cat 6 cable on the separate equipment at each end. This can lead to early component failure. i have seen buildings 10m apart have enough potential difference that there was over 25 volts and network equipment was damaged.
They are independent. Each building has it's own electrical system

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!