What's new

Sharing DHCP address with attached device?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike Donovan

New Around Here
Hello, forum noob but networking non-noob here, I'm trying to do something unusual, and haven't found any discussion about this anywhere, maybe I just haven't found the right Google Foo yet....

I'm trying to replicate on a Linux-based router a behavior I've seen elsewhere, such as in cable modems: I need to get a single DHCP address from the WAN side, offer/pass that same address to the single attached client device, and mostly just act as a bridge, except that I also need to have the router use that DHCP-issued address to phone home for management. Also, the client device should be able to talk to the router using some fixed IP (like 192.168.100.1) for local troubleshooting. Any traffic coming from the outside which isn't a response to a request from the router itself should go straight through to the client device, except maybe for one reserved management port.

The client device phones its own home for management, and tells what IP it got, so it can get called back; otherwise I'd just use NAT and be done.

I'm pretty sure I can do most of this with ebtables, but I haven't figured out the proper incantations yet. The WAN side has a single hardware-linked reserved DHCP address, which I can't do anything about. My Plan B is straight bridging (with MAC fix-up) but I'd lose too much management functionality that way.

Last edited:
I did find that page before. As I stated above, this is for a device which needs remote management, not for a local user browsing the web. (Besides, Squid wouldn't even fit on that little router.)

What I'm looking for is a series of iptables/ebtables/dnsmasq commands to set up the needed behavior, not a description of a large product with parts of the solution I need buried inside it.

Not going to happen unless you are running a proper Router with pfsense, etc running on Linux.