What's new

Should 5Ghz Wi-Fi 5 Range Channel Bandwidth be set to 80Mhz?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yakuzah

Occasional Visitor
Hi There,

currently I have an Asus AX11000 with Three Split and Separate SSID's.

The Middle SSID is for everything WiFi 4 & WiFi5 really, allowing 5Ghz 802.11n and mostly 802.11ac devices. So I keep my Mobiles, Tablets GoogleTV etc on this band.

Currently the settings for the channel are 20/40/80 Mhz.

Should this be set for just 80Mhz?

Would appreciate some help and advice.
Thanks
Gary

Depending on where you are in the world, and the channel selected, you might be better off manually setting the channel width.

I don't think it matters. Devices change # of streams, bandwidth and modulation methods as signal levels drop. If you force 80MHz mode, the device should still adapt. It if doesn't, the device should disconnect.

On Asus routers the only difference between 20/40/80 and 80 is that 20/40/80 enables OBSS Coexistence. My understanding is that in theory that would mean that if there was another station nearby using overlapping channels they can play nice together. If on the other hand you don't have any nearby stations it should make no difference as 20/40/80 and 80 should be effectively the same.

I don't think it matters. Devices change # of streams, bandwidth and modulation methods as signal levels drop. If you force 80MHz mode, the device should still adapt. It if doesn't, the device should disconnect.

All WiFi 5 and 6 devices are required to support 80MHz channels, same with 40 and 20 in the 5GHz band.