What's new

Should be simple for someone I'm the know-how...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tom Brough

Regular Contributor
Sorry for asking such a silly question, I just can't get my head around the workings of it all...

Currently I have a R7800 router, running like Joe public, with all my stuff plugged in the back Ethernet ports.

1) Wireless Mesh Extenders
2) Qnap Nas
3) Shield Tv box
4) Sony PS4

(Running via the mesh network is another 2 shield tv devices streaming media from the Qnap and also the internet via Disney+app etc)

But during a recent device dusting I noticed the Qnap has an extra Nas port, but I'm not using it, so I looked into it and they say it can be used to increase transfer speeds via link aggregation, further investigation told me the R7800 can't do link aggregation so I would need to wire it into the R7800 via a switch... Quite why it can't boost speeds when plugged into the R7800 with 2 cables into 2x 1Gb ports, but it can when plugged into a switch connected to the router via only 1x 1Gb port is crazy mad science stuff I'm sure... but it matters not.

Would adding a switch to my set up be of any benefit?

If so what would I leave directly connected to the router, and what would I connect to the switch?? And what switch would be best? So far knowing nothing, I went Netgear to match the router, and came up with a GS108T-V2 8 port gigabit smart switch?

Unless you have a lot of users simultaneously requesting large files from the QNAP, link aggregation is not likely to help.

If you want to do it anyway, get a switch that supports link aggregation. This will be a "smart" or "managed" switch. Plug all your devices into the switch and plug one cable from the switch to a router LAN port.

There's never much file downloading etc, just local media streaming... Normally 2 shields watching 1080p films at the same time.... So it might not be much benefit. If it's still a good idea to use a switch I will happily buy one as they only seem to be £50 so not exactly a major spend....

With 2 1080P video streams you will not need a lagg port. You will not make it into the second NIC. But I believe in running a switch and not using the switch in the router. Old habits die hard.

I might go down the switch route too, seems like the GS108T has link aggregation, so is the smallest one I can find...

I've done some reading and it's good they offer some control over the devices like QOS etc, the only shame is the switch won't see most devices as they will be running via the mesh set up and all coming via one of it's ports so it will see all of its traffic as one item.