What's new

Should I be shopping for a router with link aggregation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

winstoda

New Around Here
Hi,

Looking to replace my old router but not looking for specific recommendations as to what I should buy, I'm really trying to learn if I'm a candidate for link aggregation. Here's my setup... I have a Mac Mini (regular, not the server) that I use as a server that feeds Apple TVs around my home with movies. The Mac Mini is currently connected to the router via ethernet.

The Mac Mini only has one ethernet port but it has a thunderbolt which I can use a thunderbolt to ethernet dongle for a second. If I went this route and connected both of these ports to a router with link aggregation, would I see any benefits? Or should I save my money. Any guidance would be appreciated.

does OSX support link aggregation ?

For a single client, LAG does not offer any benefit. It is for servers that are handling hundreds if not thousands of requests. If you had many streaming clients running at the same time and OSX supports it, then you might notice a difference.

a 4k stream is what - 20mbit/sec ? So at 10 % utilization on gigabit ethernet (100 mbit/sec) you could fit 4-5 streams. Not likely worth bothering with.

does OSX support link aggregation ?

Yes, and using the on-board ethernet along with the Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter - if one wants to LAG, they can.

Keep in mind, it's not what most people thing - LAG doubles the capacity, but each packet chain is still limited by the channel that the ethernet packets flow thru, so bandwidth for any particular session is going to be the same as a non-LAG connection.