What's new

Should i bridge my new Docsis 3.1 modem and use my RT-AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danielk

Occasional Visitor
Howdy!

So, my ISP sent me a Sagemcom 3890v3 modem (4 ports router+wireless) which supposedly is Docsis 3.1 ready. Wether or not they are actually on 3.1 im not sure (apparently they were still upgrading some parts of their infrastructure)...

I also indulge in some online FPS shooters where latency has been an issue in the past (currently Destiny 2). Speeds arent a concern but latency and stability is a priority, so I'm hoping the modem can iron out some of the previous issues ive been having. I've even read some interesting stuff about "Low latency Docsis" from CableLabs which i'll hopefully benefit from sooner or later. Or, much later.

Anyways: Previously, i used to bridge my modem and let the RT-AC68U (merlin FW) handle as much as possible. With this new 3890v3 however im not sure if thats the smartest move?

Will i risk losing any benefits from the new modem, like docsis 3.1 perks, if i bridge it and let my Asus run things?

Any advice, suggestions, or pros/cons comparisons would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Daniel

Bridge it! :)

Sorry, no cake for you, (yet?), but FlexQOS would be suitable too. :)

As Mr @L&LD mentioned you should bridge it. You won't lose anything related to Docsis 3.1 as that is the modem part of the gateway (modem + router in one device). What you will do is gain a much better router part of the equation. Your 68U is plenty capable. I used my 68U for a few months with my gigabit fiber connection with zero loss in speed. If I didn't have a friend that was looking to buy my 68U off me I might still have it today.

Howdy!

So, my ISP sent me a Sagemcom 3890v3 modem (4 ports router+wireless) which supposedly is Docsis 3.1 ready. Wether or not they are actually on 3.1 im not sure (apparently they were still upgrading some parts of their infrastructure)...

Daniel

I would contact to see if they would provide an Modem only device. Spectrum does for me.

Thanks for the feedback folks! Nice to see that the 68u still holds its own! I'm running the latest 384.18 B1 with FlexQos (first time running a QoS) and excited about testing bufferbloat and such; though dslreports.com has been down for me past 12+ hours or so.

Would a modem-only device have any benefits over the bridged gateway unit?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!