What's new

Should I buy the Linksys LGS308?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pedrosa4

New Around Here
Hi all,
I currently have a small home network. Devices are as follows:

Wired:
TiVo V6 box (living room)
TiVo V4 box (bedroom)
LightwaveRF hub (G1 - plus 6 G1 devices wifi linked to the lightwaveRF hub)
Apple TV G4
Work Laptop
TV (not smart but linked for updates)

Wifi:
iPhone & iPad (plus guest i/Phones & i/Pads)
MacBook
External backup drive wired to the MacBook (using CCC)
Home Laptop
External backup drive wired to the laptop (using Acronis)
Garmin Index Scale

As you'll probably guess from the TiVo, I use VirginMedia to provide my optical broadband (hub 3 at 250mbs/12mbs) but recently bought an ASUS AC86U (on it's way) after reading so many reviews on so many routers from all sorts of resources, obviously including this one and the main SNB site, and will add that I found this forum (and SNB) so helpful, that after reading a review here & at SNB, then reading another review elsewhere, I would always come back to the SNB site and this forum to get the last word. Fantastic resources! Anyway, back to the challenge.
Currently, I have to swap cables when I want to use a device as the router only has 4 ports and I know that all I need is an unmanaged switch.
The problem comes when I think about the not to distant future where I plan to get a NAS and a game console (hence the AC86U).
I'm guessing I don't really need security unless it's from external connections which I presume the router will take care off to a degree (please correct me if I'm wrong). My thinking is more around controlling the traffic because of the TiVo, NAS and console.
Question 1: Because these three devices, I imagine, are going to be quite busy, should I buy a smart switch or will an unmanaged switch be enough?
Another reason for the doubt is that unmanaged switches here are anything from £10-£40, but so are some smart switch, such as the LGS308, so I'm thinking, if I'm going to spend around £40+- then why not get a smart switch!
Question 2: if it is a smart switch, would you recommend the LGS308 to cover all 8 devices, as well as any possible future expansion?
Question 3: Can a smart switch be used as an unmanaged switch until the time comes when I need something more configurable?

Many thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide, or suggestions.

The problem with some routers that have multiple switches is the interconnect between switches suck and can cause bottlenecks which is why a lot of times such routers dont make sense unless you're doing a multi network/purpose device in which one switch group isnt going to communicate with another in the same way. For instance, switch 2 could be a security camera network, with which it rarely needs to send bandwidth over or send to a file server (if there is a 10Gb port for example) but video feeds are constant bandwidth and use very little in comparison. Even 4k uses less than 100Mb/s per stream.

Smart switches, or even managed are always better than unmanaged, they can give you better control and security, however they do require you to configure which is sometimes the good thing about unmanaged where if you dont want to configure and just want to add more ports, its one way. However with PoE you must at least get a semi managed (smart) switch as this allows you to monitor the status of the port, something unmanaged/dumb doesnt allow you too do.

busyness is relative, is it a lot of packets? lots of bandwidth? A lot of packets makes a wifi network busy, a lot of bandwidth makes any network busy.

The VM hub sucks, get a proper router.

Good question and this is another reason for my doubts. Since researching this aspect of networks the language being used made me a little apprehensive as I thought how am I going to learn all this in a reasonable time to get started with setting this up with confidence and without royally messing things up (if I bought the smart switch). As you see, I’m completely new to all this as I’ve never needed a switch in the past and so never needed to know. It was so complex that it scared me a little.

I roughly know what packets are (very small bits of data) and what bandwidth mean (how much data can be sent vs time) but I couldn’t give you any figures as I don’t know how to translate what I do know that into something that would be meaningful. All I know is how full my hard drives are (around 1.5Gb (MacBook) and nothing yet for the laptop as it’s new). I couldn’t tell you anything about TiVo but then realised that I don’t even have it connected as it goes through the optic cable so please ignore the TiVo and apologies for the error.

As far as the console is concerned, I haven’t bought it yet but know from the research that this can be one of the biggest hogs of a network when streaming and that QoS can help with this to give it priority. However, if I had to go in and set up QoS I wouldn’t have a clue where to start and would need to study.

I’m really sorry I couldn’t be more constructive and for my ignorance. I was really hoping to get some yes/no answers to see if I’ll benefit from getting a smart switch and if that was the case, then I know I’d have some studying to do which is absolutely fine. Having said that, ideally, if I can use a smart switch as an unmanaged switch then, while I have it set up as unmanaged, I can then study up to the point where I’ll feel confident to give it a go.

I think the answer I need right now then is if a smart switch can be used as an unmanaged switch, or can only certain models do this, and if so which ones?

Also, I forgot to add in my previous post that I would ideally like to have the MacBook & home laptop wired in, especially considering my MacBook dates back to 2013 and only supports 802.11n. Also, it doesn't have an ethernet port and instead uses a thunderbolt port which is max 10Gb/s but have no idea which is better, wifi or wired?

Question 1: Because these three devices, I imagine, are going to be quite busy, should I buy a smart switch or will an unmanaged switch be enough?

A simple unmanaged switch is more than enough for your needs...

The VM hub sucks, get a proper router.
He is, he's getting an RT-AC86U. :)

A simple unmanaged switch is more than enough for your needs...
Agreed. I'm also on VM and had the same package as you until recently. You have plenty of internet bandwidth for your needs. If you do run into problems when you get your console you can use the QoS settings on the Asus router to sort it out. Save your money and buy an unmanaged switch.

Thanks for the input everyone. Really appreciated and thanks for the tip Colin. Unmanaged it is then. Can anyone recommend one, or at least a good brand?

Again, many thanks all. Knew I could rely on the folks here :)

Nice one, thanks Colin. This is where my brain starts thinking if I'm going to spend £30, then why not get the LGS308 for the same price? (link below) and use it as unmanaged, which will then future proof me should the need ever arise.
I do trust your judgment but it's the value for money point that still pinches me.
If the LGS308 were not considered a very good switch (?), where the GS108 is, then I'd get the GS108 like a shot because then I'm getting value for money. Hmmm.
https://www.box.co.uk/Linksys-LGS308-8-Port-Business-Gigabit-S_1553907.html

Last edited:
At that price the LGS308 is very attractive. Unfortunately I couldn't say whether it's any better or worse than the Netgear because I've only used the Netgear.

Another product that I have no personal experience of is the Netgear GS308 which is only £16 (but doesn't come with the 108's lifetime warranty).

Hopefully others can chime in with their personal favourites (or hates - D-Link).

Another product that I have no personal experience of is the Netgear GS308 which is only £16 (but doesn't come with the 108's lifetime warranty).

Yes, I spotted the lifetime warranty which makes it very attractive, and then (still on that page) I saw the GS108Ev3 (the smart version with lifetime warranty) for only £4.31 more. I need to draw the line somewhere but with so many options out there, it's difficult.

Well, after thinking a little more as well as getting tired of many days reading so many reviews of different products, I've decided to get the GS108UK (Thanks again Colin for the suggestion).

I read that the GS108Ev3 may have some throughput issues even out of the box (unmanaged) but how widespread they are, I'm not sure (reports of a number of buyers usually having around 50-80MBps without and dropping down to 10-20Mbps with but no posts I could find stated this was resolved. The latest was from 2017).

I couldn't find any bad reviews or issues for the GS108UK or the LGS308 (not to say there aren't any), but with what I mentioned in my second post about having extremely limited knowledge, if something were to go wrong (out of the box) it would take quite a while to figure it out, so I'm going with the simplest solution as Colin and SFX2000 suggested and getting an unmanaged switch (thanks guys), and from the reviews I've read so far, the GS108UK seems like an excellent bit of kit.
If I ever do need to upgrade then it'll be some time in the future where the market may have changed, as well as my knowledge, lol.

Thanks to all for your input, support and patience. It's been very helpful indeed.

I put 5 of the D-Link 8 port gig switches at my daughter place of business. They seem to work fine. I was looking for cheap unmanaged switches to use until we can re-cable all the drops with home runs. They were around $19 each.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!