What's new

Should I get the router I really want or build a mesh network? Looking for advice...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DeltaHF

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I'm a bandwidth nerd, and I really geek out over bandwidth graphs and data usage stats. I want to see real-time and historical data usage for the WAN and each device on the network. This has led me to the Synology RT2600ac. From my research, it seems to offer the best network utilization tracking features, and even includes deep-packet inspection to monitor application data usage — nice! For me, that's just awesome.

However...

I have a 4,500 sq ft home that is long in shape. My modem/router can only be placed in an extreme, far corner of the house, and I need strong coverage throughout. Fortunately, the home is wired with gigabit Ethernet and I can place a hard-wired AP in a central location.

This is how it's currently configured with some older hardware (Asus RT-N66U router, D-Link DIR-645 as AP), but it doesn't work as well as I would like. Because we spend a lot of time in the middle of the house and the signals from both overlap each other quite a bit, devices like to hang on to the first AP they see and don't let go.

The desire to have one big, unified network that is designed for "roaming" is very, very attractive to me, so I've been considering mesh systems like the Netgear Orbi or Google Wifi. With access to Ethernet backhaul, though, it feels like these systems might be a waste/overkill/inappropriate.

So, my questions are:
  • With Ethernet backhaul, should I even consider these mesh systems? If so, do any offer the bandwidth monitoring features that I'm looking for?
  • If a mesh network is not the way to go, what other configuration or hardware would you suggest? Is there any router/AP combination that would provide a unified wifi network with robust bandwidth monitoring capabilities?
  • Is my "dream router", the Synology RT2600ac, really best-in-class when it comes to bandwidth monitoring? Is there something out there that's even better (like Ubiquiti)?
Thanks for any advice or suggestions you guys have!

Last edited:
1) nope
2) get APs that can have transmit power adjusted, switch to 5 GHz band as much as possible
3) look at some linux networking tools.

Hi everyone,

I'm a bandwidth nerd, and I really geek out over bandwidth graphs and data usage stats. I want to see real-time and historical data usage for the WAN and each device on the network. This has led me to the Synology RT2600ac. From my research, it seems to offer the best network utilization tracking features, and even includes deep-packet inspection to monitor application data usage — nice! For me, that's just awesome.

However...

I have a 4,500 sq ft home that is long in shape. My modem/router can only be placed in an extreme, far corner of the house, and I need strong coverage throughout. Fortunately, the home is wired with gigabit Ethernet and I can place a hard-wired AP in a central location.

This is how it's currently configured with some older hardware (Asus RT-N66U router, D-Link DIR-645 as AP), but it doesn't work as well as I would like. Because we spend a lot of time in the middle of the house and the signals from both overlap each other quite a bit, devices like to hang on to the first AP they see and don't let go.

The desire to have one big, unified network that is designed for "roaming" is very, very attractive to me, so I've been considering mesh systems like the Netgear Orbi or Google Wifi. With access to Ethernet backhaul, though, it feels like these systems might be a waste/overkill/inappropriate.

So, my questions are:
  • With Ethernet backhaul, should I even consider these mesh systems? If so, do any offer the bandwidth monitoring features that I'm looking for?
  • If a mesh network is not the way to go, what other configuration or hardware would you suggest? Is there any router/AP combination that would provide a unified wifi network with robust bandwidth monitoring capabilities?
  • Is my "dream router", the Synology RT2600ac, really best-in-class when it comes to bandwidth monitoring? Is there something out there that's even better (like Ubiquiti)?
Thanks for any advice or suggestions you guys have!

Wired backhaul for a wireless system is the way to go. All in one routers are basically wireless blaster's with little to no wireless configuration. Trying to serve wireless to a home with one router usually ends up with lack luster wireless experience. No need for a mesh system if you have Ethernet cabling throughout your home. Lot's of wired AP options out there. Check Tim's review of wireless roundup.

Have you looked at the Asus routers with their traffic analyzer? I don't use it but it appears to do a good job categorizing traffic. Asus also has a mesh system that works with a few of their regular routers. I believe that system does a better job with hand-offs than the typical router>access point setup. Unfortunately it doesn't look like your 66U is supported though. I've attached some screenshots of the demo for traffic analyzer. Search the Asus forum and you will find some more detailed info on it.

Clipboard01.png Clipboard02.png Clipboard03.png