What's new

should I mix AX and AC router in Aimesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ronan_zj

the last time I used my AC88U router was in 2018 then I changed to EERO mesh system due to wireless backhaul. However, I am really disappointed with recent EERO Pro 6E performace, so I have decided to try to build my Aimesh system.

I have an old AC88u (merlin FM), and this would be my remote node in wireless backhaul and it would be connected to my security camera system in the garage, and I am thinking about getting either GT-AX6000/GT-AX11000 Pro or GT-AXE16000. However, I am not sure how AIMESH work, such as if I mix new AX ( wifi6 dual/tri/quad bands) with my old AC88U ( wifi5 dual bands), will the AX router drop the performance or turn off certain radios? In EERO mesh system, if I mix pro 6E with Pro 6 system, the pro 6E router will completely disable the 6Ghz band, so I am not sure if Asus will do the same way?

regarding the ZenWifi system, typically it comes with 2 routers, so I am wondering what's the difference between using ZenWiFi set and mix use AX routers? ( such as getting GT-AX6000 and AX11000 pro to setup mesh system)

my network topo would be : comcast XB7(bridge)----2.5G wired---->AX router ----wireless backhaul--- AC88U in garage ( 30ft away) [ the DVR will hardwired to the AC88U for footage review].

You may find that the GT-AX6000, properly placed in the area to be covered, will be all you need.

I would not recommend mixing AX and AC class routers in an AiMesh setup.

You may find that the GT-AX6000, properly placed in the area to be covered, will be all you need.

I would not recommend mixing AX and AC class routers in an AiMesh setup.

whats the CON for mixing AC and AX? the purpose of remoted AC88U is just for the wired connection of DVR. my other devices would still on the AX router.

Some of the cons are:
  • Firmware won't be/stay in sync between AC/AX class routers. May cause stability/performance issues.
  • Features the AX class router supports won't be propagated to the node.
    • Worse, that in itself may cause issues (stability, compatibility, or otherwise).
  • With different RF technology used between the units, connection issues may be more common, depending on the generation of the client devices used.
  • And generally, just a less responsive (higher latency) network is noticed when AX is weighed down by AC nodes.
If your only use case is for a wired connection to the DVR, I would not use AiMesh at all. Rather, Media Bridge mode is what will give you superior results. Because in AiMesh mode, you will not have a lot of control over where the clients connect (and they may connect to the node, badly, whether it is the best choice or not).

Be sure you don't use ports 5-8 either with your RT-AC88U. Almost guaranteed to have more weirdness in your network if you do.

Some of the cons are:
  • Firmware won't be/stay in sync between AC/AX class routers. May cause stability/performance issues.
  • Features the AX class router supports won't be propagated to the node.
    • Worse, that in itself may cause issues (stability, compatibility, or otherwise).
  • With different RF technology used between the units, connection issues may be more common, depending on the generation of the client devices used.
  • And generally, just a less responsive (higher latency) network is noticed when AX is weighed down by AC nodes.
If your only use case is for a wired connection to the DVR, I would not use AiMesh at all. Rather, Media Bridge mode is what will give you superior results. Because in AiMesh mode, you will not have a lot of control over where the clients connect (and they may connect to the node, badly, whether it is the best choice or not).

Be sure you don't use ports 5-8 either with your RT-AC88U. Almost guaranteed to have more weirdness in your network if you do.

THanks for the info. I probally need to dig into the "Media Bridge" setup. I think I set up last time ( a year ago) to connect to my EERO mesh network, but my AC88U kept freezing.

If it still misbehaves, be sure to try a nuclear reset on it. Media Bridge should just work.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

whats the CON for mixing AC and AX?

I can demonstrate what it is at any given moment with AX86U and AC86U mixed AiMesh. Most AC-class clients stick to AC86U and most AX-class clients stick to AX86U even though there is closer AiMesh node with stronger signal. For better roaming and overall user experience - all identical routers.