What's new

Should I stay with Orbi, Apple Extreme Base, or move to Asus RT-AC5300 (before AX era)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NesTx88

Regular Contributor
Currently I'm on a 150-175mbps plan with comcast, sb6183, living in a single story home almost 2k sq ft. Current setup is 3 used orbis (one is the router, two are the satellites), and I have a additional orbi router and extra satellite I'm not using as all (for backup incase one fails). All in all cost was $55 (factoring in gas and misc cost to get them).

Two weeks ago i ran into a guy that sold me his apple setup for $55 (it was a extreme base, and 3x airport express base stations, and I cant think of the name of the other device that looks like a extreme base station but it stores files (I believe 2tb time capsule). No cords were included though.

Yesterday I found a new ac 5300 for $40 flat, and I used to have the 3100 rt but sold it.

My questions is, with the ax router era coming soon, is it better to keep the orbi, or sell the it and go asus (asus 5300 + go buy another 3100 to make a mesh network), or go apple? Would love to hear your thoughts?

Last edited:
RT-AC5300 and RT-AC3100 are routers from 2015. There are newer and much faster routers now, like RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U. Can't find them cheap though. Better use what you have for now, upgrade when needed and on a better price. AX routers and devices are still work in progress, users pay more money to become beta testers for now. Read Tim's review of AX routers here on SNB:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...-fi-6-performance-roundup-five-routers-tested

So you think the orbi will perform just as well as a ac5300? Or will it provide more range (coverage) with wifi?

Also, maybe this is just me, but it seems like I have experienced more coverage, but some dropouts with the orbi (particular with my hd homerun prime).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!