What's new

Should I stick with WiFi 5 just to retain DD WRT compatibility?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

squarkle

New Around Here
I'm seeking a bit of router-buying advice. I currently use a Huawei 5G router (H112-370) and I'm happy with its 5G performance, but less so on the WiFi side. It does have WiFi 6, but really the only place I can do video calls is next to the router, where I use Gigabit Ethernet anyway (via a powered Netgear switch).

I haven't tried video calls via WiFi in close proximity, perhaps I should. The router is upstairs in a good 5G location, and elsewhere in the house (bedroom on the same floor, downstairs in the lounge) wireless performance is not very good. I have an (old) WiFI repeater for my smart TV, and even that struggles, and video calls direct via the main router are too glitchy to be useable.

So I am minded to get a new dedicated WiFi unit, to be plugged into the 5G box via Ethernet. I prioritise performance and privacy, cost is not really a factor. On the privacy angle, I notice that some consumer networking devices come with anti-virus (Trend Micro) etc, which I would regard as probably "phone home" software, and I am disinclined to trust them. I would therefore like to be able to reflash the stock firmware to DD WRT, Open WRT, Asus Merlin etc, so I can trust the provenance of the code.

With these thoughts in mind, I was looking at the RT-AC88U. This only has WiFi 5, but is reported to have solid wireless performance, and I would be willing to try it, even if it feels like a step down from my current (ropey) built-in WiFi 6. That works with stock ROM, Merlin, and DD WRT. There is a RT-AX88U, which has WiFi 6; I don't mind that it costs 50% more, but I can only reflash to Merlin, since DD WRT won't run on it.

I also like the look of Linksys WRT AC3200, and the company's use of open source in their marketing materials is something I find reassuring. Again DD WRT can be used here, but (of course) not Asus Merlin. This is also only WiFi 5.

I would not mind future-proofing to WiFi 6, but my many hours of research have not turned up anything else that keeps upgrade paths open while also getting the best available hardware. In other words, it looks like wanting DD WRT compability will set me back a few years of hardware and performance improvements.

Presently my devices are probably WiFi 5 (personal laptop, tablet), possibly WiFi 6 (recent MacBook Pro), and probably WiFi 4 (BluRay player and Smart TV). So I barely have any WiFi 6 devices.

With these thoughts in mind, could the two WiFi 5 units I have mentioned have much better performance than a my thrown-in-for-free WiFi 6? I appreciate no guarantees can be offered - just wondering how other people would assess this risk.

I'd be open to multi-unit WiFi mesh arrangements, but I can't find any information about whether they can be reflashed to open source firmware, and I've currently assumed that is not an option.

Interestingly, I found this thread, and it said that an AC-series router was better than an AX-series router. Is that still true, and if so, why?

You will have WIFI 6 devices in time so my first recommendation is an RT-AX86U. There is an RT-AX86S coming out that has half the RAM and processors of the AX86U and should be a great performer as well. Next choice is an RT-AC86U. I actually have both with the AC86U currently an AiMesh node to the AX86U. Would stay away from the AC88U but that is just one opinion...

1) Merlin firmware does not remove TrenDMicro AiProtection.

2) you can leave Trend Micro turned off

3) Your call home worries are not an issue, there are plenty of threads already on the subject on this forum.

4) Are you wanting to use the New purchase as a router or an access point? If it is an access point the TrendMicro woudln't be available to you anyway.

About Merlin Firmware

3) Your call home worries are not an issue, there are plenty of threads already on the subject on this forum.
Ah, that's reassuring - and apologies for the (somewhat) duplicate topic. I researched my model codes here, but not, I admit, this theme. I will do that shortly.
Are you wanting to use the New purchase as a router or an access point?
I think just as a (WiFi) access point. The incoming internet signal will be supplied via a Gigabit Ethernet cable (from a 5G box that I'm happy with).

I think just as a (WiFi) access point. The incoming internet signal will be supplied via a Gigabit Ethernet cable (from a 5G box that I'm happy with).

That being so I wouldn't be buying a router , look at access points which will do the job at a huge saving.

There is an Access Point review/listing >>>>> HERE

That being so I wouldn't be buying a router , look at access points which will do the job at a huge saving.

There is an Access Point review/listing >>>>> HERE
Lovely, I appreciate the steer. They all look like smoke detectors o_O

I assume they are all built for wall/ceiling mounting, but I'd prefer a free-standing unit. It's good to know such units are available though - I think I was dimly aware of them for commercial settings, but had not thought of looking into it for my domestic needs.

I've had a quick look at the hardware support for Merlin and DD WRT, and it looks like those are for routers only. So I think I may stick to a router at present - thanks though {thumbsup.gif}

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!