What's new

Should I upgrade from 3.0.0.4.270.26?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davewolfs

Regular Contributor
In all honesty this build has worked flawlessly for so long. Is there any point in upgrading to the latest release?

I'm a little bit concerned with new drivers being in the new firmware etc..

Thanks,

Dave

Depending on the router, this may sway you.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=100663&postcount=534

I moved from 270.26b to 374.38.(1 then 2)-em and experienced the IPv6 issue with Comcast. Everything else is working great and my signal strength and throughput have both improved measurably from the older build.

Note too that the IPv6 issue is to simply not change the login name to anything other than 'admin'.

I can't see a reason to change the user name when you can simply pick a good password other then default. Problem solved..

I can't see a reason to change the user name when you can simply pick a good password other then default. Problem solved..

This is a bug in the firmware because it's hardwired somewhere in the code. It only affects IPv6 right now, but who knows where it might show up later?

Afaik, RMerlin has agreed to let someone else fix this in the code he'll use. I'm sure it will be in the next release and won't be an issue again.

That's good news been running 270.26 can't wait for Merlin's new build

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a bug in the firmware because it's hardwired somewhere in the code. It only affects IPv6 right now, but who knows where it might show up later?

Afaik, RMerlin has agreed to let someone else fix this in the code he'll use. I'm sure it will be in the next release and won't be an issue again.

Saintdev already sent a pull request with the fix, and it was merged in the Git repo.

As to the reason for changing username, it's an additional level of security. Most automated scripts would only try "root" and "admin" as username, so it vastly improves security against brute force attacks.

Stick with what works. If it isn't broken don't try to fix it. I am sticking with the latest sdk5 build as it gives me the best wireless performance.

Depending on the router, this may sway you.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=100663&postcount=534

Note too that the IPv6 issue is to simply not change the login name to anything other than 'admin'.

There is more wrong with ipv6 then just leaving the user name at admin. The 38 firmware makes v6 unstable and it works intermittently. Me and RogerSC have been testing this for a few days now. reverting back to 374_35_4sdk5 solves the problem. To bad to i liked the 38 firmware but im not going to have my ipv6 broken by it.

There is more wrong with ipv6 then just leaving the user name at admin. The 38 firmware makes v6 unstable and it works intermittently. Me and RogerSC have been testing this for a few days now. reverting back to 374_35_4sdk5 solves the problem. To bad to i liked the 38 firmware but im not going to have my ipv6 broken by it.

Why do you absolutely need IPv6 right now?

Why do you absolutely need IPv6 right now?

Its not the point of if I really need it or not. The point is this firmware don't work properly with it. Most people using Comcast have had v6 for well over a year and it works good so I would like to have a firmware that makes my internet function the way its suppose to. :(

For Asus firmware stay on ,270 other wise tomato victek works great for parental controls and ipv6

Chris

For Asus firmware stay on ,270 other wise tomato victek works great for parental controls and ipv6

Chris

Thanks Chris but 270 firmware has no ipv6 firewall and thats not a good thing.

This one is for Merlin.

Since 270 is still the most stable build. Are there any builds down the road which should be as stable?

Its not the point of if I really need it or not. The point is this firmware don't work properly with it. Most people using Comcast have had v6 for well over a year and it works good so I would like to have a firmware that makes my internet function the way its suppose to. :(

The reason I was asking is because I was wondering why you would ditch all the other fixes and improvements in favor of strictly getting IPv6 working, as if there was a particular reason why IPv6 was more important to you than everything else.

The way I see it, IPv6 at large (especially here in North America) is still one huge lab experiment that isn't fully ready for the regular customer to use. Both router manufacturers (such as Asus) and ISPs (such as Comcat) are still fiddling with it, trying to get everything to work properly. I suspect it will be a few more years before it starts working as reliably as IPv4-based solutions.

This one is for Merlin.

Since 270 is still the most stable build. Are there any builds down the road which should be as stable?

Depends on your router. For me, 374.38_2 is rock solid on my RT-AC68U, and it has tons of bugfixes over 270 in all other routers. IPTraffic is definitely far more reliable now than in 270. Same with OpenVPN (I don't even remember which build introduced OpenVPN). And also plenty of security fixes since 270 - AiCloud is known to be remotely vulnerable in those old builds, for instance.

Depends on what you mean by "stable" I guess. 374.38_2 is the build I would recommend to anyone right now, except for very specific corner-case such as IPv6 (Asus being in the process of changing the way native IPv6 is being handled by the router).

The older one's build is, the more likely it is to have security holes that had since been discovered, and actively exploited.

38_2 has problems with USB and network map on the ac66 might be better to run 38_1 on the ac66

Chris

In all honesty this build has worked flawlessly for so long. Is there any point in upgrading to the latest release?

I'm a little bit concerned with new drivers being in the new firmware etc..

Thanks,

Dave

There are several security fixes in the later builds that are good to have. And a couple of possible stable releases, .35_4-sdk5 is a good one, and if you can get .38_2-em to work for you, that one seems to be stable as well. If you care about IPv6, which a lot of people are currently unconcerned with, then .35_4-sdk5 is most likely a good choice for you.

Personally, I would not stay with 270.26b firmware version, but that's just my own preference...to have security fixes is important to me, and there other enhancements as well, between 270.26b and the current firmware versions.