What's new

Should I use QOS on a 500mbps connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

garett_09

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

I would like to have your opinion if I should use QOS on my 500/500mbps connection? I don't download that much in our network and what only happens is there are only streaming services that run while I'm gaming. I currently do not lag when people are streaming while I'm gaming. So, should I still use QOS?

My router is an Asus AX86U

Hello everyone,

I would like to have your opinion if I should use QOS on my 500/500mbps connection? I don't download that much in our network and what only happens is there are only streaming services that run while I'm gaming. I currently do not lag when people are streaming while I'm gaming. So, should I still use QOS?

My router is an Asus AX86U
Welcome to the forum!

IMHO, no, not required.

Same here: Not needed on my 500/50 connection - as it never gets much loaded!

Welcome to the forum!

IMHO, no, not required.
Thank you! I tried using QOS last night with FlexQOS, as I am encountering some small spikes in my ping in Warzone. Is that a QOS issue?

My rule 1 on this is "don't solve a problem you don't have" !!
You can actually make problems where you didn't any before.

Start without QOS and run tests on your service. Only do something if you encounter an issue.

My rule 1 on this is "don't solve a problem you don't have" !!
You can actually make problems where you didn't any before.

Start without QOS and run tests on your service. Only do something if you encounter an issue.
Agree with you. Actually makes my downloads more slower with it turned on. Thanks bro.

Edit: I even thought game mode will help at all. Actually it is working for me makes my ping more stable when I download through my PS5 but the download speeds are much slower compared to when QOS is turned off.

now have 1Gig/105mbps from Virgin Media and I switched off QOS and let the family have a free for all and not noticed any problems with streaming, torrents, work, gaming, all about trusting family to not be greedy.

I tried using QOS last night with FlexQOS

This script may not work well on your router. Read the related threads before you install scripts.

It really depends - run a couple of torrent downloads (ubuntu 23.04 is out now), stream a netflix, run a online gaming session, and try to bring up a MS Team or Zoom call...

If everything works, it's all good - QoS can help with flow management and keep the lower priority traffic from killing the game session and voice/video calls...

Our toy routers are not up top the task of QOS a link of this speed. Your throughput will be reduced. I would only do it if you have serious bandwidth hogs.