What's new

Side-by-side comparisons, what is the best bang for the buck?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
I currently have a TS-112P. It's a little Marvell Armada box with 512MB of RAM.

I'm looking to upgrade to something with a lot more horsepower and I think I've narrowed it down to a 2-bay box. I've attached a screenshot of the 4 models that I'm comparing. What I'd like to know is how much each difference is worth, particularly the quadcore Intel vs. the dualcore and the 8GB of max RAM vs. 4GB.

If money were no object, I'd go with the 253A but is it really worth $175 more than the 251A ($600 vs. $425 respectively).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.47.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.47.26 PM.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:
I'm thinking the 251A would be a good choice...

By the mimimum RAM config, and then add your own... QNAP charges very high prices, and I thought Apple was bad at that...

Check the service manuals first, but for the most part, QNAP intel models have always had DIMM's...

Unless you are going to be using aggregated connection with multiple clients, buy the cheapest one. All should saturate a gigabit Ethernet connection for large sequential file transfers. You can even consider the TS-231P I just reviewed.

Unless you are going to be using aggregated connection with multiple clients, buy the cheapest one. All should saturate a gigabit Ethernet connection for large sequential file transfers. You can even consider the TS-231P I just reviewed.

The 231 is nice, but he's looking for Intel, and there, Intel does offer capabilities beyond just throughput - QNAP has done a nice job extending their platform there.

Yeah, for example, I don't believe QNAP has ever enabled SMB3 on ARM like they have on Intel. In fact, my puny TS-112P only got SMB2 like 6 months ago or so.

I think I've pretty much zeroed in on the TS-251A at this point. My main need for more CPU/RAM is that I'm now backing up multiple clients and because of scheduling, they have to be done at the same time.

The TS-11P does fine with 1 file transfer going on but 2 starts to tax it and 3 chokes the CPU completely.

PS: My hope is to eliminate the USB3 backup and backup my new NAS to the TS-112P at a remote location.

Last edited:
The TS-251+ is a nice choice...

The TS-253B might be really interesting for some folks - It has the Intel J3455 processor, which is a big step forward - much better AES performance there, and a good 1.5x CPU performance on the Baytrail-D based J1900...

The open PCI-e slot on the 435B might be of interest to folks that want to explore 10Gbe or add WiFi card into the unit...

Over in the pfSense camp, there's a lot of interest in that chip (J3455) as well these days... mostly for the AES performance - supposedly it's as good as the low-end Broadwell big-cores for VPN stuff...

(secret hint - QNAP can be that VPN client/server)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!