What's new

Signs of bad radio?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

QuikSilver

Very Senior Member
Trying to see if I have a bad radio and if it may be time to put the unit to pasture or not. Have tried multiple firmware versions, reset from scratch to test wifi and no matter what I seemed to get same issue. When Smart connect is on (yes I know some don't prefer but I've used it for years without issue) I am unable to connect to my wifi on multiple devices (iphones and laptop). On the iphones I get "incorrect password" when I know it is correct. On the laptop the connection just goes in and out. If I split the wifi (2.4ghz and 5ghz), I can atleast connect to the 2.4 band on those devices. When trying to jump on the 5ghz, bad password returns along with disconnects. Is this the sign of the radio going bad?? The unit in question will be three years this year so I'd prefer to not have to replace it as I dont consider that to be old quite yet. :)

Edit: Nest thermostats are stating wrong password/unable to connect with 2.4ghz band......may be time to upgrade to the AX86 model. ;(

Last edited:
In the order of completeness and for those who may find this later. I replaced my old AC86U unit with a newer AX86u. Configured from scratch thanks to @L&LD. Old unit has been reset as well but haven't been put back in place to test if it was officially a firmware, config, or hardware issue yet though. Will update this when I have to complete this thread.

Last edited:
AC adapter in early stages of failure?

Cheaper to replace that than to buy a whole new router...
What I am wondering as well.....wife says I am a hoarder but I hate throwing things away if it still has a purpose. When I get the house to myself I plan to thoroughly troubleshoot it. If it works then I'll have a backup unit or might dabble with an Ai-Mesh setup. If not, nothing lost.

please let me know how you like the AX86U, plan on getting it in the future when I can use AX
So far I am really liking. Didn't really think my AC86u unit was slow but having the AX unit really flies. Definitely notice when downloading items. Its not a cheap unit but with my 1gb down/50 up connection I seem to be getting more from it. AC86u unit didn't get the same numbers but who knows it could have been how I set it up years ago that was the issue.

Last edited:
So far I am really liking. Didn't really think my AC86u unit was slow but having the AX unit really flies. Definitely notice when downloading items. Its not a cheap unit but with my 1gb down/50 up connection I seem to be getting more from it. AC86u unit didn't get the same numbers but who knows it could have been out I set it up years ago that was the issue with that.
appreciate the info!

So in order to play around with the old unit some I added it as an AiMesh unit (never had a reason as old units worked fine but I figured, why not?). Yesterday it seemed fine but this morning I noticed on that side of the house my iPhone complained about no internet and asked if I wanted to use cellular or keep trying wifi. Will play more with it this weekend to make sure.