What's new

Simple bandwidth prioritization

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

remnant24

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm currently running John's fork on a RT-N66U, and I'm looking for the following setup:

- network is segmented into home network and guest network
- home network can use all the bandwidth allotted by the ISP at any given time
- guest network can only ever use the bandwidth that home network is not using

I've been through Toastman, Shibby, and now John's fork, and fooled around with QoS and the bandwidth limiter in each, but they do not seem to allow this simple setup. Is there a way to do this with my current firmware and if not, can it be done with another firmware?

It sounds like it's not simple, you need to design your qos (or bandwidth limiter) for your environment, it's normal qos concept.

Thanks,
Vanic

Sorry but your reply basically amounts to saying "figure it out", which is completely unhelpful. If I thought I could, I wouldn't be asking for help.

Also, the setup I'm describing is pretty basic, considering a typical ISP router does it out of the box, so I don't see why a high-end consumer router wouldn't.

So you need to apply QoS according to subnet?

No, what I mean by guest network is this:

DMDBv4w.png

It's on the same subnet, just a different AP. I would have used VLANs but I have no idea how to do it with this firmware.

I'd just prioritize known IPs and default everything else to a lower priority.

Apply the QoS rules to the primary network - e.g. what OP refers to as the "Home Network" and don't apply QoS to the "Guest" network.

Remember -- QoS is a bandwidth commitment/reservation - not a restriction - so in an unloaded scenario, Guest and Home are just fine, but as resources start hitting higher level, QoS will enforce the rules for the higher priority network, and the non-QoS'ed devices get best effort after the QoS rules are applied.

Sorry but your reply basically amounts to saying "figure it out", which is completely unhelpful. If I thought I could, I wouldn't be asking for help.

Also, the setup I'm describing is pretty basic, considering a typical ISP router does it out of the box, so I don't see why a high-end consumer router wouldn't.

I know I can't help on this, but what I want to point out "you ask the wrong question". As @sfx2000 said, it's qos concept.
Your purpose can't use qos or bandwidth limiter to help you to match what you want.

Thanks,
Vanic

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!