What's new

Simple multiple WAN options for home use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

3Greens

Occasional Visitor
After receiving my own advice on here, I recently learned that my parents have 2 broadband connections in their home (for reasons I won’t go into and both are locked in for a little while).

both are connected by ISP standard issue gateway/routers and with both being in a similar location, the wifi signal is pretty poor in parts of the house.

Can someone recommend a good solution that will support and spread connection over the 2 WANs and interface with say 2 or 3 APs with minimal fuss/expert knowledge?

1) turn off the wireless in one or both of the ISP routers. Then get several APs - current cisco are very good and not expensive.. There are others. see threads with Sir Trip's lists.
2) an RV340 cisco unless you need more ports ( i would use a switch if you need it. i think the rv325 is EOL and EOS for cisco. The 340 is the replacement. i would avoid TPlink except as a throw away experiment.
3) what cabling do they have to other parts of the house ? Coax , CAT5e ? if coax, can use moca2 modems to extend ethernet to an AP. If cat5e, easy. you may be able to use POE++ over cat5e to the AP. if nothing, try most recent powerline solution. Best if only one set of powerline modems.

Thanks for the above. There isn’t any useful cabling unfortunately. Could try and make use of TV coax or use powerline as you suggest but I think I could install a couple of runs of Ethernet cable if needed - it could all run externally up the brickwork. I suspect the cost of the electrician would be the same as the power line equipment.

In that case, pay the electrician and do it right! The performance, reliability, and stability of the network would be at a different level than any PLA performance you can expect over the long term. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!