What's new

Simple wireless bridge with neighbor for 1Gbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

quisp65

Occasional Visitor
My sister is building a house caddy-corner to my Parents to take care of them and I've taken it upon myself to help them link their networks together. They will be around 70 meters (229 feet) apart.

I was thinking the simplest approach was to buy two AX routers (Asus RT-AX88U) and link them by bridge to get a 1 Gig connection. I figured even though it's not yet approved, I would get the best range and throughput with 2 equal AX routers. For simplicity I would just stick each router by a window that has line of sight to the other. The house will be finished mid summer so AX standards won't be finalized.

Problems with this? .... or is there a better way? I would like to keep things simple but I'm open to better ways.

How often does it rain there ?
A Fiber Optic link would be the simplest and most reliable connection.

you should investigate a set up with two outdoor 2.4GHz highly directional antennas. Ubiquiti has some decent ones if i recall. They need to be weather proof for mounting under the eav of each building.
you don't need routers, just bridge extenders. You have to have direct, unobstructed, line of sight between the two.
Any precipitation or vegetation will interfere with the signal.

you should investigate a set up with two outdoor 2.4GHz highly directional antennas. Ubiquiti has some decent ones if i recall. They need to be weather proof for mounting under the eav of each building.
you don't need routers, just bridge extenders. You have to have direct, unobstructed, line of sight between the two.
Any precipitation or vegetation will interfere with the signal.

Some, but I can get direct line of sight.

Dusk is more attenuating than rain when propagating outdoor wireless. Confirmed by my outdoor testing since wifi was developed. Wireless is just radio.

Keep in mind AX is a work in progress. Even when it's fully baked, the high throughput rates you see quoted are available only at very close range, certainly not across the distance you have.

A pair of 5 GHz AC outdoor bridges would be a good starting point for proof of concept and not cost a lot. Keep in mind these things are not easy to set up.

I agree - a couple of 802.11ac bridges on a dedicated SSID would be good enough...

Some, but I can get direct line of sight.
if you’ve got true direct line of sight then forget AX, have a look at mikrotik’s “wireless wire” 60ghz system point to point, it’s far far cheaper than a pair of ax routers, won’t fill up the 5ghz spectrum and really will deliver 1gbps at short range

Think high when you install your bridge. You don't want a delivery truck to kill the link. A house side by side would have been a lot easier.

if you’ve got true direct line of sight then forget AX, have a look at mikrotik’s “wireless wire” 60ghz system point to point, it’s far far cheaper than a pair of ax routers, won’t fill up the 5ghz spectrum and really will deliver 1gbps at short range

60GHz is fast, but it drops off rapidly due to resonance with Oxygen in the air... and a rainy day will ruin the day.

If you can get by on less than gig speeds, a solid link can be set up for $80. I have one install that I used a single tplink cpe210 back to a rt-ac86u, and another where I used a pair of cpe210's to form the link. They are $40 a piece for 2.4g, and $50 for 5ghz models. Ubiquiti nano stations and tp link cpe series are 150-300Mbps, and Ubiquiti airfiber units can do 1-2Gbps but the price tag on setting up airfiber is around a grand for a pair of lower models.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!