1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Simple wireless bridge with neighbor for 1Gbps

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by quisp65, Mar 20, 2019.

1. quisp65

quisp65 Occasional Visitor

My sister is building a house caddy-corner to my Parents to take care of them and I've taken it upon myself to help them link their networks together. They will be around 70 meters (229 feet) apart.

I was thinking the simplest approach was to buy two AX routers (Asus RT-AX88U) and link them by bridge to get a 1 Gig connection. I figured even though it's not yet approved, I would get the best range and throughput with 2 equal AX routers. For simplicity I would just stick each router by a window that has line of sight to the other. The house will be finished mid summer so AX standards won't be finalized.

Problems with this? .... or is there a better way? I would like to keep things simple but I'm open to better ways.

2. degrub

degrub Very Senior Member

How often does it rain there ?
    A Fiber Optic link would be the simplest and most reliable connection.

3. quisp65

It's across the street, so a cable wouldn't be possible as something we would commit to.

4. degrub

degrub Very Senior Member

you should investigate a set up with two outdoor 2.4GHz highly directional antennas. Ubiquiti has some decent ones if i recall. They need to be weather proof for mounting under the eav of each building.
    you don't need routers, just bridge extenders. You have to have direct, unobstructed, line of sight between the two.
    Any precipitation or vegetation will interfere with the signal.

L&LD likes this.
  5. quisp65

Some, but I can get direct line of sight.

6. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Keep in mind AX is a work in progress. Even when it's fully baked, the high throughput rates you see quoted are available only at very close range, certainly not across the distance you have.

A pair of 5 GHz AC outdoor bridges would be a good starting point for proof of concept and not cost a lot. Keep in mind these things are not easy to set up.

sfx2000, Sanna1967, quisp65 and 3 others like this.
  7. CrystalLattice

CrystalLattice Regular Contributor

Dusk is more attenuating than rain when propagating outdoor wireless. Confirmed by my outdoor testing since wifi was developed. Wireless is just radio.

8. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

I agree - a couple of 802.11ac bridges on a dedicated SSID would be good enough...

9. John Davis

John Davis New Around Here

if you’ve got true direct line of sight then forget AX, have a look at mikrotik’s “wireless wire” 60ghz system point to point, it’s far far cheaper than a pair of ax routers, won’t fill up the 5ghz spectrum and really will deliver 1gbps at short range

10. coxhaus

coxhaus Part of the Furniture

Think high when you install your bridge. You don't want a delivery truck to kill the link. A house side by side would have been a lot easier.

11. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

60GHz is fast, but it drops off rapidly due to resonance with Oxygen in the air... and a rainy day will ruin the day.

12. roadwrenchtech

roadwrenchtech Occasional Visitor

If you can get by on less than gig speeds, a solid link can be set up for $80. I have one install that I used a single tplink cpe210 back to a rt-ac86u, and another where I used a pair of cpe210's to form the link. They are $40 a piece for 2.4g, and $50 for 5ghz models. Ubiquiti nano stations and tp link cpe series are 150-300Mbps, and Ubiquiti airfiber units can do 1-2Gbps but the price tag on setting up airfiber is around a grand for a pair of lower models.

13. John Davis

John Davis New Around Here

if you're using the long-range dishes sure - but if you're using the basic units over 100m even heavy rain shouldn't cause significant signal loss : https://blog.linitx.com/rain-fade-60ghz/