Simulate Latency / increase latency?

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

TexasDave

Occasional Visitor
I need to do some testing and am wondering if there is a way to increase my latency or simulate high latency? Open to doing this in Merlin or in a Merlin addon?

I saw a post about leveraging VMs to do this but hoping to do something on the router. Happy if it affects everything short term or if I can do it on the client level?

Or happy to use another method?

Trying to test a website with low quality of service / high latency.

Many thanks for ideas or pointers.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Use a computer with one core. And/or 1GB RAM. :)

TexasDave

Occasional Visitor
I need to do some testing and am wondering if there is a way to increase my latency or simulate high latency? Open to doing this in Merlin or in a Merlin addon?

I saw a post about leveraging VMs to do this but hoping to do something on the router. Happy if it affects everything short term or if I can do it on the client level?

Or happy to use another method?

Trying to test a website with low quality of service / high latency.

Many thanks for ideas or pointers.

Still open to any router tricks or tips to do this but found some possible proxy servers or other tools I may be able to use. Thanks!

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
I see there is a way to delay outgoing packets from the network. Is there a way to delay incoming packets?
I've never used netem myself but that link has a FAQ called "How can I use netem on incoming traffic?"