What's new

Single or multicore cpu for IPTV, samba, local streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Budgeter

Regular Contributor
(Please delete my post in Router thread): https://www.snbforums.com/threads/router-cpu-for-iptv-samba-streaming.55550/
As tittle, now I'm having TP-link Archer c1200 v1.0 and Asus rt ac58u. C1200 has 1 core - 900mhz cpu and 58u has 4 core IPQ 4018 @710mhz cpu. Which one should be best if I use for IPTV, samba, and local streaming

I ask this question because, for some task like VPN, it will prefer better single core, so I wonder if 4 cores on 58u will be useful in these case (E.g: each core for each task, or use all for cores together each task)'

And side questions:
1 For some reasons, I always have problem while using samba on 58u. E.g: devices (usb plugged in router, local computers, etc) disappear from Network Location on win 10, or sometimes appear but become inaccessible. While plugging usb into c1200, it will instantly appear on local network and really stable.

2 Sometimes there are unknown devices appear on my local network (only win 10 shows them), I'm pretty sure that no one rather than my family can access this network (I have full control of this network.)
2018-08-17-14-png.16531
2018-08-17-24-png.16532
2018-08-02-19-png.16534
2018-08-02-20-png.16535
2018-08-02-22-png.16536

E1000 and the phones are unknown devices.

Link for both router hardware:
C1200
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_Archer_C1200_v1.x
58u
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC58U

The Asus is the better all around wireless router. The TP-Link has much weaker WiFi and CPU.

You can't really make a router use one core for each different task it is performing (though, RMerlin does that to an extent with OpenVPN on his supported routers). That is up to the os to do and it usually does a poor job.

Still, 4 cores are better than a single core with today's network usage.

I would not be looking at either of these though.

The RT-AC66U B1 is much, much better and has RMerlin support too.

Are you considering purchasing one of these or do you already own one or both?

The Asus is the better all around wireless router. The TP-Link has much weaker WiFi and CPU.

You can't really make a router use one core for each different task it is performing (though, RMerlin does that to an extent with OpenVPN on his supported routers). That is up to the os to do and it usually does a poor job.

Still, 4 cores are better than a single core with today's network usage.

I would not be looking at either of these though.

The RT-AC66U B1 is much, much better and has RMerlin support too.

Are you considering purchasing one of these or do you already own one or both?
I already owned both and I don't want to upgrade in the near future. Btw, compared to 66U-B1 + Rmerlin , I think Archer c2300 is still better when it goes on sale for around $110. C2300 just has less function.
----------------------------------
I don't know how router's CPU function, but from what I've heard is that task like VPN will prefer stronger single core CPU (E.g: 1 core 1.8ghz > 4 core 1.4 ghz) since it can't take advantage of all 4 core simultaneously.
I know that 58u has better overall performance. However, for specific task like these, I'm not sure about that.

Besides, do you have any idea on the problems that I'm facing with 58u?

I already owned both and I don't want to upgrade in the near future. Btw, compared to 66U-B1 + Rmerlin , I think Archer c2300 is still better when it goes on sale for around $110. C2300 just has less function.
----------------------------------
I don't know how router's CPU function, but from what I've heard is that task like VPN will prefer stronger single core CPU (E.g: 1 core 1.8ghz > 4 core 1.4 ghz) since it can't take advantage of all 4 core simultaneously.
I know that 58u has better overall performance. However, for specific task like these, I'm not sure about that.

Besides, do you have any idea on the problems that I'm facing with 58u?

Seems like the RT-AC66U B1 is around the same price as the C2300? I can't see how it would be better though?

Yes, a VPN does benefit most from high single core clocks. But that isn't one of your requirements in the first post if I read it correctly ("Which one should be best if I use for IPTV, samba, and local streaming").

The only suggestion I can offer is to do a full reset of your router and your network, create new SSIDs, use new passwords, and power everything off and turn things on in the order suggested in the links in my signature below.

Seems like the RT-AC66U B1 is around the same price as the C2300? I can't see how it would be better though?

Yes, a VPN does benefit most from high single core clocks. But that isn't one of your requirements in the first post if I read it correctly ("Which one should be best if I use for IPTV, samba, and local streaming").

The only suggestion I can offer is to do a full reset of your router and your network, create new SSIDs, use new passwords, and power everything off and turn things on in the order suggested in the links in my signature below.
Thanks for your response.
Yes, VPN is not what I'm asking for. I only mention it as an example (task benefit from better single core cpu - higher clock, architecture, etc).
Can you please tell me which link should I look for? (Sanitize one?)

About C2300, it is duo to its much better hardware. I know firmware can largely affect how the device perform, no matter how good its hardware is, but from my experience, TP-link (new UI) firmware is already stable enough. Besides, these products use both use hardware from 1 OEM (BCM) so I don't believe the difference in how TP-link and Asus optimize their hardware is noticeable.

Thanks for your response.
Yes, VPN is not what I'm asking for. I only mention it as an example (task benefit from better single core cpu - higher clock, architecture, etc).
Can you please tell me which link should I look for? (Sanitize one?)

About C2300, it is duo to its much better hardware. I know firmware can largely affect how the device perform, no matter how good its hardware is, but from my experience, TP-link (new UI) firmware is already stable enough. Besides, these products use both use hardware from 1 OEM (BCM) so I don't believe the difference in how TP-link and Asus optimize their hardware is noticeable.

Here is that link, directly.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

Doing a quick look at various C2300 reviews, the RT-AC68U still bests it, by a lot, depending on which criteria you want to judge (I'm looking at overall and wireless performance here).

The good news? The RT-AC66U B1 is the updated and the rebranded RT-AC68U. ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!