What's new

SIP ALG - Any Help is Appreciated

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trameltanz

Occasional Visitor
Guys, and gals,

I started working from home this week and my employer has us using their Softphone for "business".

Problem is that after 15 minutes the call is kicked - line is connected but no sound on either end.

I was sent this link to troubleshoot my issue:
https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/random-call-drops-at-15-minutes.59765/

I dont understand all of the SIP and voice technical concepts but I do understand that the system sends an INVITE (RFC4028) packet, my AC88U has closed that port, and the connection stays alive but the voice ports are dropped.

If there is a command or a setting to modify that would be terrific!

I appreciate any help!

-TT

Just a guess... Try changing the current setting of "SIP Passthrough" on the router's WAN - NAT Passthrough page.

Oh well, it was worth a try. I suggest you set it back to "enabled" as that is the default and would seem to be the most logical setting (although in your case it doesn't seem to make a difference).

Doesn't the link in the first message suggest some setting(s) in the server software? If support is sending that out to users, it does not inspire confidence
Code:
Please make sure that nothing is pending in the updates section of the PBX. Then navigate to SIP trunks and Add a SIP trunk. Select "CA" and check for Voip.ms. It should be listed there.

Mr. EmeraldDeer,

Thanks so much for pointing that out. I had already sent that back to CORP IT for their troubleshooting pleasures.

I am checking here to see if there is something that I can change, which is much easier to do, rather than waiting on corporate politics and change management.

Code:
Please make sure that nothing is pending in the updates section of the PBX. Then navigate to SIP trunks and Add a SIP trunk. Select "CA" and check for Voip.ms. It should be listed there.

Is the softphone connecting to the employer's PBX or a cloud service?

Do other employees have the issue?

Is there employer IT Support familiar with the softphone and connection requirements?

I would suspect a routing timeout and lose of the connection, either on your end or the employer's end, if connecting there.

OE

Oh well, it was worth a try. I suggest you set it back to "enabled" as that is the default and would seem to be the most logical setting (although in your case it doesn't seem to make a difference).
Or maybe leave it on "Enabled + NAT Helper"

In the softphone settings we are mapping to a public IP address designated with "I am out of the office - ExternalIP"

I do not know if anyone else has the problem.

We have a whole department of VoIP guys for both employees and managed services provided.

When I tested it I called from my softphone to my cell phone. My cell phone dropped/disconnected while the softphone stayed alive.

I understand the issue just not sure if I can modify a setting in the firewall to "work-around" it.

At this time this will be my situation for the forseeable months to come.

Is the softphone connecting to the employer's PBX or a cloud service?

Do other employees have the issue?

Is there employer IT Support familiar with the softphone and connection requirements?

I would suspect a routing timeout and lose of the connection, either on your end or the employer's end, if connecting there.

OE

In the softphone settings we are mapping to a public IP address designated with "I am out of the office - ExternalIP"

I do not know if anyone else has the problem.

We have a whole department of VoIP guys for both employees and managed services provided.

When I tested it I called from my softphone to my cell phone. My cell phone dropped/disconnected while the softphone stayed alive.

I understand the issue just not sure if I can modify a setting in the firewall to "work-around" it.

At this time this will be my situation for the forseeable months to come.

Sounds like their softphone is connecting to home. A department of VoIP guys ought to be able to debug their end and your end for you. They could be timing out the connection to encourage brief calls to conserve capacity, who knows.

OE