What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
RT-AC86U with Merlin 314.15, RT-AC68U aimesh node with same f/w, diversion, uidivstats, skynet, scribe, uiscribe, OpenVPN for select clients, conmon, spdMerlin, scmerlin, nsrum

Hi, folks,
Could someone tell me possibly what is going on in and around my little home network here from the chart shot? My wireless networks have the same ID (MAX911_5 and MAX911_2) for the 5 and 2.4 ghz, and it looks like if I am reading it right that my AC68U node is only capable of 1300 Mbps? Some of the networks shown, I believe, are from my own firesticks, firetv, and possibly an android tv box and a roku tv. I am routing these through the VPN at the router currently. There is the sixth network down that is labeled x00x00.... and I don't have a clue what it is. I have Asus-Merlin f/w on the primary RT-AC86U and the RT-AC68U node for convenience mostly.

Does anyone know why the Aimesh node shows diminished max rate, and what the x00x00* network is about? Is that all the AC68U is capable of?
BTW, the AC68U is configured for ethernet priority backhaul.

upload_2020-3-18_11-44-37.png

The MAC suggests Liteon. Google found this curious post: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29193083-

OE
Thanks, Ozark. Then it is possibly the roku tv, or maybe a printer. I wanted to make sure it wasn't something wierd bleeding the missing 400 Mbps off my node, if it is missing.
The link wouldn't work for me, said the server not found. Sometimes it is on account of my VPN.

what the x00x00* network is about?
This appears to be a security measure for your or your neighbor's router.
As this thread says:
The Router will hide your primary Wireless ID (SSID) from clients scanning for wireless networks. To connect to your Wireless LAN, they must first know the Wireless ID. This is a simple security measure to hide your network from casual intrusion.
If you have a similar router, you can try turning off the "Closed System Mode".

I get the same weird network name for the remote for my Roku stick.

However it uses the same channel as the Roku is connected to and if I check the MAC for it it tells me it is Roku.

Because the channel doesn't match the channels you are using my guess the scan is picking up a device in a neighbors home.

I get the same weird network name for the remote for my Roku stick.

However it uses the same channel as the Roku is connected to and if I check the MAC for it it tells me it is Roku.

Because the channel doesn't match the channels you are using my guess the scan is picking up a device in a neighbors home.

The mac is the same as my Roku tv except for the last two digits, so I bet you are right. I didn't think about the remote having a network. I think it odd that it is only 20 MHz though. Or it is a coincidence, and it is a neighbors security as Jack said.

The Amazon remotes probably have one too in that case. The fire tv, perhaps the fifth one down, either ours or the neighbors, don't even resemble the mac address, nor any of the others, so it may be coincidental. It is interesting, though.

The AiMesh had a hidden network when I had two nodes connected to the AC86U, and I bet it still does. I think it is the 4th network down which is unnamed.
thanks again,
jts

This appears to be a security measure for your or your neighbor's router.
As this thread says:

If you have a similar router, you can try turning off the "Closed System Mode".

There is a switch somewhere on the RT-AC86U to hide the ssid, but I can't find it at the moment, Mine is off, but I can't verify that right now. I assume that is similar to the Netgear closed system mode. It may be someone's security measure. I am now thinking it is Roku as CaptainSTX said.

The MAC suggests Liteon. Google found this curious post: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29193083-

OE
Yep, my VPN was blocking me from your link. Turned it off and it went right there. I am gonna look for a more "friendly " VPN when mine runs out this year, if there is such a thing. I get blocked a lot of times with Windscribe, seems like.

Your 86U is a 4 stream ac router so 433 Mbps x 4 streams = 1733
Your 68U is a 3 stream ac router so 433 Mbps x 3 streams = 1300

Thanks, doczenith1, I should have known that, but couldn't find it easily. There's no way to access the node in that configuration that I know of.
I appreciate it.
jts

@doczenith1 beat me to it. Just so you now know and understand that you're not "losing" anything, JT; your 68 just can't go that fast.

@doczenith1 beat me to it. Just so you now know and understand that you're not "losing" anything, JT; your 68 just can't go that fast.

yes, I should have known that, but was limited in accessing the node router. I should have looked it up on the Asus website instead.
Thanks for the help.

For others that might stumble across this.. \x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00 is indeed a hidden network, if you have a AiMesh node that is configured with a dedicated backhaul radio (the AX92U for example) this is achieved by it creating it's own hidden SSID, in which case it will be on a common channel.